Big 4 Welcome Stranger Holiday Park, Ballarat, Melbourne

Big 4 Welcome Stranger Holiday Park, Ballarat, Melbourne

Postby Keeks » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:33 am

Thought I would cut and paste from another post and add a bit in here too.

We stayed at "Welcome Stranger", in Ballarat one of the Big 4 holiday parks. The owners and staff were all great, helpful and friendly to young and old. They were especially great with the kids at all times all around the park.

Other than the brochure I hadn't seen it before but we were very happy with the facilities and met my "if we do this camping thing it has to have ... " criteria

The kiosk which was off the office had good selection of bits and pieces like toiletries, biscuits, condiments, fresh milk, ice- creams and drinks. Also internet access which we used and was fast. Oh and they could refill your gas bottle and you could get ice from there too.

Our en-suite was great, not as new/nice as the shared facilities which have been recently renovated and the family bathroom which is HUGE with a shower, a bath tub and toilet. With the 3 boys the ensuite was a great idea and I would do it again. Ahhh... and in the middle of the night when nature called it was much easier going the very short distance to the toilet.

The camp kitchen was always clean, with a stove, oven, kettle, microwave fridge that you could use and lots of tables and chairs to sit around to eat your meal and a tv. They provided dishwashing liquid and sponges as well but I still used mine.

Directly outside the kitchen was two bbq's and tables and benches so you could eat out there.

After each meal I would gather all our plates, cups etc into the plastic rectangular washing bucket I had bought to wash in but I just went to the kitchen and washed everything and then brought it all back in there and dry it. If there was only a couple of things I used our wash basin in our ensuite.

For the kids... a HUGE jumping pillow (awesome for the kids), tennis court, playground, 18 hole mini golf (we got a voucher for a family game), pool (suppose to be solar heated but was cold), indoor swim spa, games room with air hockey, pool, game machines and table tennis. Movies every evening for the kids on a big screen and on the weekend 2 movies each day and the tv room for the big kids who watched the footy. Then there was the holiday activities for 2 hours each day where the kids were supervised and they did things like swim, play poison ball on the pillow, mini golf, crafts, watched movies etc etc gave us 2 hours break each day.

The jumping pillow, pool, day/night tennis court, playground with flying fox, basketball ring and volleyball net were all free.

The indoor heated swimma/spa you paid for, can't remember exactly how much but it wasn't to expensive for 30 mins for a family between $5-10.

The games room all games were $1 or $2 for double play on the electronic games. The air hockey and pool were $1 and the table tennis you purchased balls for a $1 and played whenever you wanted.

Movies were all free.

What was good the kids all made friends and they all played the 2 player games with each other. So they weren't constantly asking for money. A comment a lot of us parents made.

I should add we also went to Sovereign Hill for the day which was only about 10 mins away. And we panned for gold and actually found some. lol

It was our first camping trip and haven't got anything to compare it too but if all our camping trips are going to be like this, there will be many more to come thanks to their hospitality and great family friendly park.

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby gypsy rainbow » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 am

hi,were thinking of moving to victoria soon,dont no of any camping areas thier yet,but iam all out for suggestion of any good camping spots,welcome stranger sounds good,i have kids and they would love that place,i wonder how much for a night to stay thier?and also iam into gold detecting ,and panning would be fun to,got to visit this place soon.
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Postby clackerz » Wed May 02, 2007 2:20 pm

gypsy rainbow wrote:hi,were thinking of moving to victoria soon,dont no of any camping areas thier yet,but iam all out for suggestion of any good camping spots,welcome stranger sounds good,i have kids and they would love that place,i wonder how much for a night to stay thier?and also iam into gold detecting ,and panning would be fun to,got to visit this place soon.

Go to this site. It's really good for finding campsites around Vic etc.
Check it out.
Or alternatively you can check-out the reviews etc within this forum.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1process_ ... activity=5
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Fri May 04, 2007 8:11 pm

This is also a good site to use, the main one we use.

http://users.tpg.com.au/viccamp/viccptowns.html
mytribe
Post Machine!

Return to Victoria