G'day from Redlands Qld.

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

G'day from Redlands Qld.

Postby Troyk » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:15 pm

I am an Engineer from the Redlands near Brisbane, and have been camping since I was a kid. It was the same for my wife Jo, and our early days together we use to pack up the car, mostly filling the boot and some stuff on the back seat, and take off. Now with a 5yo son and 3yo daughter things are alot different.

About 5 years ago and after a 8 year hiatus we got back into camping, and have undertaken a number of trips around SEQ. About 18 months ago we bought a camper trailer and have started travelling further afield and last year travelled to Carnarvon Gorge and Cania Gorge.

We have done most of the sites around SEQ (which are pretty good) but always on the look out for yet to be discovered places, possibly in Northern NSW.

I noticed some new to camping people have been worried about taking their young children, but we have found it easy going, with the kids taking to it like ducks to water. You need to give them their own torches (the new LED shakem torches are good) and glow sticks (so you can track them at night). Also helpful are the portable DVD players.

Look forward to revealing our experiences and hearing others.

Troy K.
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:54 pm

Welcome to the forums ... how did you go accessing Carnarvon Gorge? Is 4x4 really necessary?

Hope you manage to find some use from the board.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Troyk » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:35 pm

For the Carnarvon Gorge section of the Park, a conventional vehicle (we had a commodore) is all that is needed as its bitumen all the way except for the last 20km which is gravel. Where is care is needed is the rocks on the road, which are quite sharp and can damage soft walled tyres, which applies to alot of 4WD as well as 2WD.

The other sections Mt Moffat and Salvator Rosa are 4WD only.

Highly recommend a visit.
Troyk

Postby Scolers » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:52 pm

TA!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Welcome

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Hey Troyk,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some knowledge worth tapping into there particularly in Queensland, our home State I might add.

:beer
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: G'day from Redlands Qld.

Postby JM1375 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Troyk wrote:I noticed some new to camping people have been worried about taking their young children, but we have found it easy going, with the kids taking to it like ducks to water. You need to give them their own torches (the new LED shakem torches are good) and glow sticks (so you can track them at night). Also helpful are the portable DVD players.

Welcome Troy.

I'm one of the camping newbies and appreciate any advice I can get on introducing my son to camping. I love the glow stick idea.

Cheers, Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Tue May 01, 2007 8:23 pm

Jodie,

You will probably find your son will take to it fairly easily, though you might want to introduce him to some of the gear such as sleeping bags before you go. My kids didn't get it at first and wanted their normal bedding, as it was familiar. The familiar things (such as food) is important so it doesn’t make it too strange an experience.

The glowsticks also act as nightlights. Be aware they contain a fine glass cylinder which is broken to activate the stick, which is ok as long as the outer plastic casing is not ruptured, or chewed!
Troyk

Postby Kramer » Tue May 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Troyk wrote:The glowsticks also act as nightlights. Be aware they contain a fine glass cylinder which is broken to activate the stick, which is ok as long as the outer plastic casing is not ruptured, or chewed!

Welcome to the site :armsup I have to add in kids won't chew it for long as I had the really good idea at the time last new years to bite into one to spread its contents on myself and surrounding people it tastes terrible. I had trouble getting the taste out of my mouth I even had an extra 10 beers trying :) but alas the sambuca helped a little but I know from now on not to bite into them again.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue May 01, 2007 9:12 pm

Kramer wrote:
Troyk wrote:The glowsticks also act as nightlights. Be aware they contain a fine glass cylinder which is broken to activate the stick, which is ok as long as the outer plastic casing is not ruptured, or chewed!

Welcome to the site :armsup I have to add in kids won't chew it for long as I had the really good idea at the time last new years to bite into one to spread its contents on myself and surrounding people it tastes terrible. I had trouble getting the taste out of my mouth I even had an extra 10 beers trying :) but alas the sambuca helped a little but I know from now on not to bite into them again.

The one's I've used don't have any taste :shock: (broke one open and put some on my teeth to make them glo, was amusing for the youngins' :lol: )
Ebay's great for these too.

Welcome to the site and sorry for the thread hi-jack :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo@home » Tue May 01, 2007 9:35 pm

I dont think its really healthy to do Ozzy.

Mean while a lot of the candy Ravers use glow sticks and open them up and paint themselves in the contents.
And no im not a Candy Raver im a Raving Alco ;)
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue May 01, 2007 10:07 pm

Komodo@home wrote:I dont think its really healthy to do Ozzy.

Mean while a lot of the candy Ravers use glow sticks and open them up and paint themselves in the contents.
And no im not a Candy Raver im a Raving Alco ;)

But it says non toxic :mrgreen:

Yeah only did it once on my teeth, and it burns when you get it on your lips so I don't think its too good.

We paint our clothes with em though, and i'm not a candy raver either just a raving lunatic :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Wont be passing this info onto the kids, though they can be creative at times.

PS. I must live a sheltered life as I had to google what a candy raver was.

A web link if you are also wondering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_raver
Troyk

Postby JM1375 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:01 pm

LMAO - you guys just crack me up.... :+
JM1375
Captain Camping

Start the kids early - they will love it.

Postby Hissy » Thu May 03, 2007 8:04 am

Hi all,

We have found that we started camping with the kids as soon as we could. I still laugh when i see the camping photos of one of the kids in Winter sitting in the pram, the grass was too wet to crawl on.

Glow sticks & spot lighting helps keep the kids busy. The Dvd is good when it rains or you need some quiet time.

Camping with friends with kids is a great idea as well as many eyes looking out for the kids makes it more relaxing.

Happy camping
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Re: G'day from Redlands Qld.

Postby clackerz » Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 am

Troyk wrote:I noticed some new to camping people have been worried about taking their young children, but we have found it easy going, with the kids taking to it like ducks to water. You need to give them their own torches (the new LED shakem torches are good) and glow sticks (so you can track them at night). Also helpful are the portable DVD players.
Troy K.

Agreed - Kids love to camp. All kids love the outdoors (and its a great excuse to get into the dirt, climb trees, really run wild) gets them out and explore and to experience nature etc. I think kids camp easier than adults!
Torches are a great idea for night walks and spotting nocturnal animals. I've never thought of the glow stick thou - might have to invest in those!
We've been looking into the portable DVD players, but would like one that has TV capabilities too (nothing better than kicking back around the fire, enjoying a beer and watching Friday night footy) - a mate has one. Although some sites don't pick up TV - but its there if it works!
Oh and by the way - wlecome to the forum - heaps of great people hear with lots of good advice and experience.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Introductions: