Annex Poles and Rust

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Annex Poles and Rust

Postby Hissy » Mon May 07, 2007 8:30 am

Having such beautiful weather in Sydney on the weekend, sunny and 27 degrees.

I found myself tinkering with the camping trailer thinking of our next trip.

I pulled out all my new annex poles from my trailer. To my dismay they look very old and weathered.

We have only used them once and the last time we packed up in the wet.

It appears that the poles have a build up of corrosion. Not exactly rust as they are aluminium but oxidization all over them. It is like a white dust.

Can anyone please suggest how to bring these back to new condition? There are several hundreds of dollars invested in these poles and spreader bars.

I keep them in PVC pipes under the trailer; I do not think that would cause a problem.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Mon May 07, 2007 11:20 am

my camper bed-end poles are full of something similar... but I thought they must have been delivered like that cause that hadn't been wet. I thought it was some kind of powder, like talc. I haven't tried to clean them.

If you pack up in the wet, at the next opportunity (at next stop or when you get home) take them out and extend them so they can dry completely.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mr_grumble » Mon May 07, 2007 1:52 pm

I've had problems in the past with metal bits going rusty, in particular bits I've touched with my hands. There must be something in sweat that breaks down surfaces or something like that.

As soon as I see corrosion beginning, I wipe what ever it is down with a Lanolin based oil and wipe dry, will prevent any further corrosion for a while.
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Mon May 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Here dunno if this will solve your problem but aluminium pots filled with water and boiled with letric soda cleans metal (including the alluminium pot)

So i guess if you get a pot (doesnt have to be alluminium if your cleaning alluminium) and fill it with water and letric soda and boil then put the ends of the poles in this should enable the corrosion to be cleaned off easily - ladies this works well for silver wear and jewlery too
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jeeps » Tue May 08, 2007 12:56 am

After any trips to the beach or similar, once home i pull all the poles apart and wash them/wipe them down with water and let dry. Once dry, i spray them all down with lanolin or WD40. Seems to work well. :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

update on poles

Postby Hissy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 am

Update on the poles.

I pulled all the poles out and wiped them down with a lightly oiled rag (i think it was Air tool oil, something i bought for my bike that i did not end up liking).

This month set up the trailer and hey presto, poles are looking as nice as when i put them away four months ago. No new corrosion.

Thanks for the replies.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:56 pm

mr_grumble wrote:As soon as I see corrosion beginning, I wipe what ever it is down with a Lanolin based oil and wipe dry, will prevent any further corrosion for a while.

Gotta luv the lanolin.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide