Vehicle poll

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Jeeps » Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 am

Scolers wrote:
Komodo wrote:I spent a bit of time looking at the LWB this weekend. I'm not sure that I like it asthetically (sp?). Looks too much like an old bus.


I don't mind the look and I know from some of the trips we do with ppl who own Wranglers that they are a very capable 4x4. The older one's were useless for towing but again, very capable offroad.

I'm not in the market just yet for a new fourbie ... I still love my old Paj ... :armsup ... but in about 5 yrs I will trade up and so far it's between the wranlger (again if it comes out with the TD in the Rubicon) and the 70 series cruiser.

Cheers ...

Scol.


I bought the TJ new in 2002. My criteria was
1, had to be tough
2, reliable
3, VERY good offroad
4, FUN!.

The shortwheelbase and soft top ensured the fun, the low low range and solid axles provided great offroad ability, the cast iron pushrod engine and agricultural styling provided the reliabilty :)

I didn't plan to keep it very long but 5 years on I'M NEVER GETTING RID OF IT! I have aquired some accessories for it, i even have 4 soft tops, 3 sets of doors and 3 sets of wheels and tyres for it :)

I'm not too sure about the new one, i'll wait a while as Jeep are already replacing some parts that are failing on it cause it's a new model. But if they bring out a HEMI V8 Rubicon i'm sold :)

Pics:


Image
Image
User avatar
Jeeps
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue May 08, 2007 12:49 am

Komodo@home wrote:Pink?


Don't be silly :roll:




















Its purple :lol:


BTW some awesome pics there Jeeps 8)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Scolers » Tue May 08, 2007 11:14 am

Jeeps wrote:I bought the TJ new in 2002. My criteria was
1, had to be tough
2, reliable
3, VERY good offroad
4, FUN!.

The shortwheelbase and soft top ensured the fun, the low low range and solid axles provided great offroad ability, the cast iron pushrod engine and agricultural styling provided the reliabilty :)

I didn't plan to keep it very long but 5 years on I'M NEVER GETTING RID OF IT! I have aquired some accessories for it, i even have 4 soft tops, 3 sets of doors and 3 sets of wheels and tyres for it :)

I'm not too sure about the new one, i'll wait a while as Jeep are already replacing some parts that are failing on it cause it's a new model. But if they bring out a HEMI V8 Rubicon i'm sold :)


Jeeps,

How easy are parts obtainable? New or 2nd hand? (ie. are new ones just as easy to obtain as 2nd hand parts from a wrecker etc).

As I've said, I'm waiting 5 yrs to see how they perform and how easy parts are for it.

Although I'd prefer the deisel, the V6 that comes with it is a very 'torquey' beasty. If the right V6 Wrangler came up 2nd hand in a few years I might opt for the petrol. It even comes with diff lock as standard in the Rubi ... just need to get a bigger fuel tank!

:?#

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Komodo » Tue May 08, 2007 11:38 am

Why dont more 4x4s come with diff locks std! or at least as a factory option on ALL models. In the patrol only the TI gets diff locks - I have no idea when the last time I saw a TI off road - probably NEVER! its mostly DX's, ST's and ST-S's!
Image
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
User avatar
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Frankston South [VIC]

Postby Scolers » Tue May 08, 2007 11:45 am

You sort of answered your own question Komodo. As not many ppl take a 4x4 offroad there is no need to. Also, for those that do, it means we can keep the parts market alive.

Good ol' consumerism ... nothing like it for sending you broke ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Jeeps » Tue May 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Scolers wrote:
Jeeps wrote:I bought the TJ new in 2002. My criteria was
1, had to be tough
2, reliable
3, VERY good offroad
4, FUN!.

The shortwheelbase and soft top ensured the fun, the low low range and solid axles provided great offroad ability, the cast iron pushrod engine and agricultural styling provided the reliabilty :)

I didn't plan to keep it very long but 5 years on I'M NEVER GETTING RID OF IT! I have aquired some accessories for it, i even have 4 soft tops, 3 sets of doors and 3 sets of wheels and tyres for it :)

I'm not too sure about the new one, i'll wait a while as Jeep are already replacing some parts that are failing on it cause it's a new model. But if they bring out a HEMI V8 Rubicon i'm sold :)


Jeeps,

How easy are parts obtainable? New or 2nd hand? (ie. are new ones just as easy to obtain as 2nd hand parts from a wrecker etc).

As I've said, I'm waiting 5 yrs to see how they perform and how easy parts are for it.

Although I'd prefer the deisel, the V6 that comes with it is a very 'torquey' beasty. If the right V6 Wrangler came up 2nd hand in a few years I might opt for the petrol. It even comes with diff lock as standard in the Rubi ... just need to get a bigger fuel tank!

:?#

Cheers ...

Scol.


Parts new are no different then ordering from a Holden or Toyota dealer. Sometimes they're actually much cheaper. Secondhand parts are easily obtained on the ausjeep forums and there is a Jeep Wrecker at Harvey Bay. I get the jeep serviced at a 4x4/Jeep specialist south of brissie and it's about $120 for a minor service and about $400 for a major service which is bugger all. Because it's such an easy engine bay to work in it's cheaper to get serviced than my work holden or my mrs' camry.

There are more parts/accessories available over the internet or from suppliers than any other 4wd or car in australia. Although they're not a big seller in Australia, they're huge sellers in the states.
User avatar
Jeeps
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Scolers » Tue May 08, 2007 2:17 pm

Many thanks for that Jeeps!

The LWB Wrangler is starting to shape up as my next fourbie ... albeit in a few years time.

Just checking the dimensions vs. the Paj ... hoping it's about the same.

Cheers ...

:grin:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 1:50 am

I don't think i'll ever sell the TJ, but in about 3-4 years once they've ironed out all the bugs and put a HEMI V8 in the JK i might let the missus drive my TJ and i'll trade her camry in. :)
User avatar
Jeeps
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 1:57 am

I believe the new Jeep wrangler comes out with difflocks as standard on their 'better' model, and is an option on the lower one. I'm happy to be proven wrong as I have a love/hate feeling toward jeeps :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 2:11 am

That's correct :) However the Rubicon (twin selectable diff locks, heavy duty axles & diffs, swaybar disconnects etc) is only available with the V6 and the Aussie market is waiting for a diesel to be released but america keeps saying "Diesel, what's that?" ;)
User avatar
Jeeps
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Scolers » Wed May 09, 2007 7:27 am

Jeeps wrote:That's correct :) However the Rubicon (twin selectable diff locks, heavy duty axles & diffs, swaybar disconnects etc) is only available with the V6 and the Aussie market is waiting for a diesel to be released but america keeps saying "Diesel, what's that?" ;)


It's a real shame that ... I'm torn which way to go ... if I go TD then you can only get the Sport and upgrade with the Renegade but still miss out on the twin difflocks. :( Then again, I've only ever hadpetrol fourbies and they are certainly superior when it comes to towing.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 10:05 am

Scolers wrote:
Jeeps wrote:That's correct :) However the Rubicon (twin selectable diff locks, heavy duty axles & diffs, swaybar disconnects etc) is only available with the V6 and the Aussie market is waiting for a diesel to be released but america keeps saying "Diesel, what's that?" ;)


It's a real shame that ... I'm torn which way to go ... if I go TD then you can only get the Sport and upgrade with the Renegade but still miss out on the twin difflocks. :( Then again, I've only ever hadpetrol fourbies and they are certainly superior when it comes to towing.

8)

Scol.


You can get after-market difflocks easily enough(ARB, TJM). Easier to start with want you want and then add to it, than to compromise. I dare say the after market lockers would be stronger too.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Komodo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:42 am

latest reports seem to suggest the TJM air locker is stronger than the ARB air locker!!!
Image
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
User avatar
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Frankston South [VIC]

Postby clackerz » Wed May 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Soz to butt into the convo :grin: but I take a stock std sedan (Ford Fairmont) with every crevas filled (kids are loaded then we load stuff around them!) the car looks like the suspensions been chopped and the power steering is amazingly(!) light.
Last trip we borrowed a trailer which (duh!) made a huge difference - so it looks like an investment will be made into one of those.
Would love to get a 4WD.....but the bank manager won't let me. :$
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
User avatar
clackerz
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: Melbourne SE 'burbs

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 2:52 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
You can get after-market difflocks easily enough(ARB, TJM). Easier to start with want you want and then add to it, than to compromise. I dare say the after market lockers would be stronger too.


But are they covered by the 3 year factory warranty like the factory lockers are? and would the ARB's be stronger in the Sport's dana 30 front diff compared to the Rubicon's front dana 40? ;)

Looking into it, it's cheaper to spend the 10k extra on the Rubicon than mod a Sport because the Rubicon has stronger axles, diffs, it's lifted 2", has offroad tyres, has auto swaybar disco's, lower low range gearing etc. BUT IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN A DIESEL DANG IT! Apparently a diesel could be released next year but spare a thought for the american market because they don't have a diesel wranger at all!
User avatar
Jeeps
Captain Camping
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron