What CB radio's are you using?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

What CB radio's are you using?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue May 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Looking to buy myself a UHF finally :roll:

Pretty much decided on a GME 3220 cause its tiny, and will fit snugly above my rear view between my two sun visors.

Curios as to what others are using and what sort of range you get?

So post up the details of the radio and the antenna if you can cause thats something I haven't decided on, which antenna to get, and I need max range cause I'm moving to Leeton. Long, flat roads and no phone reception :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mytribe » Tue May 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Don't have one, wanted to get one last year at Tax time but the moron in the house got a GPS instead, waste of bloody money that useless thing is :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 pm

I had the GME TX3400 Remote Head in the Pajero. Still considering what to put in the Zook. May go with the same yet. What I liked about it is you can hide the main unit and just have a small radio head on display.

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/default.a ... openmenu=1

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Tue May 08, 2007 9:07 pm

I don't have one but if/ when we travel to Hervey Bay I intend to get a Uniden UH088sx. It comes in a bundle pack with antenna and coax as well as a hands free, hand held (an oxymoron!) uniden UH064 2 watt UHF CB handheld. That way I can tell the wife to get out of my way if the brakes fail on the Paj as she'll be travelling upfront in our conventional vehicle ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jasonb » Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 pm

weve got the 3220 in 6 of our work vehicles and they work well ,the range we get here is about 10 ks but thats pretty hilly
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 pm

want range go HF

Ive just got some Uniden hand helds but i got the 2 watt versions

pretty good I can pick up any where from 2 - 7 ks dependant on landscape and conditions. awesome for 4x4ing only problem is I can normal transmit well and truely further than other people so people think i can still here then when they are out of range with their little 0.5w and 1 watt units :P

At the end of the day something with a high transmit power and the features you want along with a good antenna is what you want. theres not a great deal of difference between them all just brand prefferance. I like Uniden and GME
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 1:57 am

I run 2x Icom 400 pro's in the Jeep and a 5w handheld. I will be getting a GME 3440 when they are released in a few weeks as everything is on the mic :) and i'll move one of my 400 pro's from the jeep into the missus' car. I also have a 400pro base setup. I love my icoms :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 1:59 am

Thanks komodo, but re the HF, I don't want a radio thats worth more than my car :booty :lol:

5w is the max power you can use 'legally' without a license. And i dont think I could be bothered getting one so looks like I'll have to make the best of it with a good antenna.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 2:01 am

Jeeps wrote:I run 2x Icom 400 pro's in the Jeep and a 5w handheld. I will be getting a GME 3440 when they are released in a few weeks as everything is on the mic :) and i'll move one of my 400 pro's from the jeep into the missus' car. I also have a 400pro base setup. I love my icoms :)

Do you have a license?

The icom 400 was another unit I was looking at cause of the 25w capability but i'm not too sure. Is there just a switch between 5w/25w? And can you use it at 25w on the 40 CB channels?

I'd like to at least have the 25w option IF i needed it in an emergency.

EDIT: Just read their brochure, and it says can only do 5w on CB channels.
But also says user can program their own freq's in on the private channels, so can you just program the 40 CB channels as 'private' channels' ? :? hope that makes sense
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Wed May 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Get a licence its not that hard ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Who said i transmit above 5w? That's illegal and naughty! :)

However, i have tested my base 400pro in a controlled environment with a dummy load at 35w... but it gets a bit hot :)

As far as range goes, i can talk to my mate on fraser from my icom to his icom at about 25klm up the beach. From my base station to my mobile around the city probably about 10-15klm. From my base station to a base station in caboolture about 90klm :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Komodo wrote:Get a licence its not that hard ;)

Yeah, it was :roll:

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/HOMEPAGE//pc=HOME = clear as mud

After stuffing around for 1/2 hour and ringing various nit wits, I found the application form :armsup

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/aca_home/p ... e/rf57.pdf

$37 odd bucks the chick on the phone said :?

Not much, but it all seems rather pointless as there's no exam or anything
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Jeeps wrote:Who said i transmit above 5w? That's illegal and naughty! :)

However, i have tested my base 400pro in a controlled environment with a dummy load at 35w... but it gets a bit hot :)

As far as range goes, i can talk to my mate on fraser from my icom to his icom at about 25klm up the beach. From my base station to my mobile around the city probably about 10-15klm. From my base station to a base station in caboolture about 90klm :)

25klm sounds nice outta 5w.

I'm now thinking I'll get the Icom :lol: , and I'll apply for a license. Even though I wouldn't use the 25w most of the time, it would be nice to have it available if something goes wrong. Considering the distance between towns where I'm going is about 70k's + usually. And I want to get into touring, may as well buy once and buy the good stuff 8)
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 3:55 pm

What does the lisence give you? Does it give you a private frequency? Or does it allow you to transmit at 25w on CB channels?
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Wed May 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Ozzy can't say anything bad about my radio a Uniden UH015sx here is the link:

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh015sx_index.asp

For range I would use a larger antenna, the best we have used but hopeless in the bush due to snapping them are the large white fiberglass ones the are great for range but hitting trees etc takes its toll on them. I have played around a lot with radios I even have a commercial unit that transmits 25 Watts on CB channels (or can be programmed to talk even on cop channels), I even used to have UHF beams set up for long range talking that used to pick up repeaters nearly 300km away.

Transmitting 2 Watts even with a license on CB channels is illegal but getting caught would be hard :? I have never even been questioned about my old set.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Next

Return to Gear Guide