Melbourne to Perth... And back again?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby Komodo » Thu May 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Driving. Looks, at this stage, like im going to get a bit more time though.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:06 pm

What about taking the train one way??

http://www.gsr.com.au/

I reckon that would be a good compromise, don't know about the cost though, but it might give you a rest and some more time to have a good look around.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo@home » Thu May 10, 2007 10:02 pm

did look to the train but its very $$

I will do the train one day. but at the moment its out of the budget

I have a facination with trains -alwasy have had since i was a kid
In the midedle of building a new HO scale layout. if your kids are into it a st 1200 X 2400 ply sheet with two part expanda foam (not the expanda foam that comes in a can though!!!) makes a good layout very quickly ;)

Oh and ive had too many beers and my slepping is suffering
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:37 am

Yeah I thought it might be a bit pricey, but was hoping if you worked out the accommodation saved it might even out a little.

I love trains too, we caught the train to QLD when I was about 6 and we took the car, I thought it was fantastic. Sadly Countrylink doesn't seem to take cars anymore, which is such a shame because I always had in mind to take the car and CT on it in the future :(

My youngest (20mths) is starting to adore Thomas, he gets so excited when it comes on the TV, although he runs from the room which is quite funny. All he can say is Mum, Dad, Car and Toot Toot. Will have to keep that expanda foam in mind I think.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Fri May 11, 2007 6:19 pm

Try the thomas train set by TOMY, its the one with the blue track. A basic set is about $30 to $50, and you can progessively buy bits and pieces to expand. The kids enjoy assembling their own track layouts and pulling them up and doing another one. They can be creative, and haven't got the idea of the loop yet. The trains are battery operated.

The train range is pretty good, get the regulars like gordon, henry, diesel etc plus some I haven't heard of.

Later on you can move onto the HO scale etc.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Troyk » Fri May 11, 2007 6:28 pm

PS My apologies for contributing towards this topic running off the rails.

:lol:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Fonty » Fri May 11, 2007 6:48 pm

Don't stress about it Troy, you get a medal here for leading a topic astray. :armsup
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm

Troy, we have a wooden train set which is Thomas compatible and I also have put away for his birthday in August nearly the whole Fisher Price Geotrax set (got a little carried away on ebay) I think if I bought anymore trainsets I might get into trouble LOL Hopefully I can get away with the Geotrax set even though it isn't Thomas, although I could sell it all on ebay and buy the Thomas set instead if worse comes to worse.

PS I think it's great how threads can morph into something else!!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Fri May 11, 2007 7:46 pm

mummeee74 wrote:I think it's great how threads can morph into something else!!

I think that should be the motto for camping.com ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Well what an awesome experiance that is!

We left on the 7th and arrived in Perth on the 11th

We took a bit more time travelling because the comp that I was supposed to be helping out with got cancelled - not that I minded at all!

We travelled melbourne to adelaide the first day (left fairly late thursday after a bit of a hassle with the cargo storage I had made up was made a little wrong) then adelaide to Wudinna (i think - cant exactly remember might have to chack with Kel) then wudinna to a rest stop for the night just out of madura (probably half way between mundrabilla and madura actually) got ripped off for garbage fuel at border village $1.70 something per litre! then from our camp out of madura to another camp at the breakaways on the dirt road between norseman and hyden then from there on to perth!

The trip was awesome we took our time stopped a fair bit to look at different things - especially between norseman and the breakaways, that was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

I'll write up a bit more of a trip "diary" later and post up some pics. Definately a trip to remember! now we are looking to prep the vehicle for a BIG trip in 2009 probably up canning stock route.

Definately going to get either a double/queen swag or a roof top tent (or at very least a tourer style canvas or poly canvas tent). The dome is a PITA when you need to pack up and set up quickly (and without heated discussion on how to do it every time LOL!)

Its interesting now that we are back how many people (including people who have done the trip a few times) are blown away by the fact that we camped in a tent on the side of the road at the rest stops. - a lot of people seem to think this is dangerous! though the only places we ever felt uncomfortable on the trip was port augusta (or port a-gutter as some of the south aussies reffer to it as) and to a lesser extent ceduna
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Welcome back. Glad you had a great trip. Look forward to the rest of the report :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Komodo wrote: - a lot of people seem to think this is dangerous! though the only places we ever felt uncomfortable on the trip was port augusta (or port a-gutter as some of the south aussies reffer to it as) and to a lesser extent ceduna

you wrote this up just in time ... ;) ... we'd already planned to stay away from Port Augusta hence our stop at Whyalla ... apprerntly it's much better.

What's the matter with ceduna? We're staying at teh Foreshore Caravan park and thought there were very little problems there.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:53 pm

We felt a little uncomfortable in Ceduna as it was the first real stop we did after Port Augusta.

The reason we felt unconfortable was because on the tourist radio it advertised that a lot of the accomodation and tours had "secure" or "lock up" parking to "ensure your belongings are safe".

As you can imagine coming in from port Augusta with all the problems there with some of the aboriginals and all the rehab and community services facilities there. Then to come into the next stop and to straight away hear that on the tourist radio and to once again see a fairly high aboriginal population.

Unfortunately the actions of a minority gives a reputation to a majority.

We did how ever get over this unfortunate unconfortable feeling after being in Ceduna about 20 minutes and then on the way back we ended up spending the night in Ceduna at the Big 4 caravan park

So I would suggest you should have no issues at all at Ceduna.

Theres not much else that way that I would recommend as being better...
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Ta!

Sometimes 'security' can be a selling card for some tourist operations ... I'll just keep the commerical radio off and the CB on ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat