QLD - Camp recky around Brissy

QLD - Camp recky around Brissy

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:12 pm

we went for a drive looking for sum new camp spots on sunday instead of camping :( but it was worth all the while. :grin:
first of all was lake moogerah caravan park,

IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/freerocketman1/lakemoogerahcaravanpark.jpg[/IMG]
as you can see the water is low but you can still put boats in. for a long weekend yheir was still plenty of camp spots. the grounds its self were in perfect condition & the staff were more than helpful to answer any questions.unpowered $20 per site per night powered $25.
next was the gorge camping reserve i dont have any pics as it was $1 per person for a day visit :( but what i can say is its on gorge rd off charlwood rd which is off the cunningham hwy.
next was mt may reserve, if you look at gypsy rainbows intro she has put excellent directions in her post.
IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/freerocketman1/mtmayreserve9.jpg[/IMG]
i would highly recomend this place even if there is no amenitaes or drinking water, its that well hidden you wouldnt even know it was there unless you read it on here :grin: ther is a great water hole that still has water in it & if it ever rains again the water fall that supplys it would look fantastic.
next was centenary park camping ground.
located on mulgowie rd in thornton 15km from laidley,has a good play ground for little kids,shower,laundary,toilits & free electricty. there is a max of 2 nights stay but that is for free. there is a creek bed that runs behind the camp ground but that is empty & what i could see there isnt any way of getting in anyway,but it was still worth a look.
Last edited by freerocketman1 on Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 pm

On Mt May Reserve, I was wondering who owned or ran it.

Also I followed Gypsy Rainbows directions on Google Earth and believe I may have the spot on the attached photo. The t-interestion is at the top, with the house on the left. The road then heads south and crosses what looks like a creek near the drawing pin.

Am i anywhere near it?

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:54 pm

troyk not sure who owns or runs this site, might be boonah shire council as there isnt any signs directing you to this place. as for your pic not sure if that is the right place as i didnt think the road from the house was that far to the camp ground. if you move your pin north to the small patch of grass on the left that should be it. :armsup
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks for that. I'll plug it into the GPS.

28°12'18.90"S
152°40'4.88"E

Though I don't know the mapping grid used in Google Earth.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby s4j » Thu May 24, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi I've just found the forum......was looking for new destinations...and this thread caught my eye.....I'm guessing this Mt May Reserve is the one I'm thinking....we went for a drive while staying at Bigriggen a few years back and followed what looks like this same road...am I right to say that after the Reserve there is a steep (4x4 recomended) track that leads to the lookout and a gate to the Upper Portals???....The signage on the road was a bit unclear...but I do recall turning left on the dirt road just below a farmhouse....
s4j
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Thu May 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Map of the area is available at the following address which shows you are right. The Mt May Reserve camping ground appears to be owned by EPA. 8)

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/parks_and_forests/parks/mount_barney.pdf

Troyk

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:51 pm

s4j thats the one but i didnt see any sign only the 1 near the house on the corner, the next time im down there going to have a look up the top at the look out as we didnt have time.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby s4j » Thu May 24, 2007 10:57 pm

freerocketman1 wrote:s4j thats the one but i didnt see any sign only the 1 near the house on the corner, the next time im down there going to have a look up the top at the look out as we didnt have time.

great view but the plateau isn't huge...we had 2 4x4's up there and not a lot of room....don't get me wrong...you shouldn't fall over the edge....LOL...the view of the dam would be great on a clear day....bit hazy the day we were up there...but still worth it for the photograpy buff...

[img][img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/scrappin4joy/ViewfromlookoutaboveMtMayReserve.jpg[/img][/img]
s4j
Camping King

Postby gypsy rainbow » Fri May 25, 2007 12:24 am

HI freerocketman,just want to appoligise for not mentioning the 4wd track up to the lookout,i forgot all about that,i think you would have had time to go up thier if it wasnt for me gasbaging lol,though it was all good all the same,funny how time slips by lol,anyway sorry mate,cheers.
gypsy rainbow
Camping King

Re: QLD - Camp recky around Brissy

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Found it and am not sure it would be suitable for the extended family unless they are all self sufficient.

There are NO AMENITIES
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Queensland