Any drama with finding Mantles for Dual-Fuel Lanterns?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Any drama with finding Mantles for Dual-Fuel Lanterns?

Postby Jason1200GS » Sun May 13, 2007 7:36 am

I love the Coleman Dual-Fuel Lantern I just bought, but BCF didn't have any mantles to suit when I was trying to buy a few spares.
Anyone had this sort of problem?
They're a double ended item, and a double-ended gas one I looked at wasn't long enough, and I'm not sure if it would suit anyway.
Jason1200GS

Postby Jeeps » Sun May 13, 2007 1:45 pm

It it's the double ended mantle i assume it's for a North Star?

This mantle is generally more durable than normal mantles so you shouldn't need to replace it as often. If BCF doesn't have it (that's pathetic) just try a different camp store. You'll probably find a less franchised brand such as a camping disposal store will have them in stock. They are a readily available spare but BCF tends to cater for 'new' campers looking for new gear, not so much return customers looking for spares ;)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Dual Fuel Lantern

Postby Jason1200GS » Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 am

G'day Jeeps,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes it is a North Star, and it's good to hear the mantle is more durable.
I've actually never tried the old hairspray trick with my gas light mantles, but if it does work, I don't fancy trying it on the Coleman.
Spraying it before fitting may tear it when clipping on and pulling the bottom down, and spraying it after fitting will eventually load up the element.
Does the Hairspray treatment even work anyway?
Thanks again,
Jason.
Jason1200GS

Postby Jeeps » Mon May 14, 2007 11:50 am

I gave it a go once but didn't notice much difference. I have dual fuels. not the northstar, and i get 2-3 trip + per mantle which is about $2 a mantle.
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide