Young family in Melbourne

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Young family in Melbourne

Postby Goannabanda » Mon May 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi everyone!
I am Anna (Goanna) from Aspendale, suburb of Melbourne, Vic. I live with DH and we have a 6yo DS, who will hopefully have some brothers and sisters someday soon (fingers crossed! LOL!) We are new to this site, but not to camping.

As a kid, I went camping with mum and dad, with a highlight of these years being 3 months trip to FNQ in our wind-up Viscount campervan. At 9yrs old, having a whole term off school for that trip was brilliant!

As a teen, I went camping with Girl Guides, and later Venturers and Rovers. DH got into camping as an adult through Scouts Assn also. My highlight was a four day trek along the Baw Baw Plateau to Walhalla, as the only girl in a group of 6 teenagers. I had to get tough quickly on that trip just to keep up with the boys!

As grown up "DINKS", we've been on plenty of Scouting weekends, and other camping trips of our own. For some of these trips we used mum & dad's old campervan, but usually we used a 4 man dome tent that we bought in 1993, along with some very basic other camp gear. Gradually we've built up some better and more modern gear, but nothing really flash compared to what some folks have these days. Our favourite and most high-tech piece of equipment is our EverKool esky that can hold at least 3 slabs plus ice! LOL! We also love our Rhino Rack cargo pod that we got for the roof of our VL Commodore wagon (and more recently it goes on our Hilux Crew Cab 4WD). Another fave is our rechargeable Coleman light, and solar panel.

Our old dome tent has just about reached the end of its life now, and my folks sold their camper in favour of becoming prado-toting, pop-topped grey nomads (LOL!). They just got back from 4 mths trip around central & western Aust.

With the old tent and camper gone, and a family of our own started, last year we replaced our worn out tent with a massive 3 room "family" dome tent. Scary that it only cost the same as the little tent did in 1993, and its 3 times the size. It's a brilliant new tent for standing family type camps, however, we don't think that was such a great purchase for shorter trips. It's great once it's up and you're in it, it's so roomy (7.5m x 4m), especially on a rainy day with a small, very bored kid in camp, but the lugging around and setting up involved with it is a drag. It's so heavy that we can barely lift it to load the car. Oh well, a lesson learned there. We might sell it later this year as we have decided to finally upgrade our gear and buy our own wind up camper van.

We are planning to buy an outback model of either a Jayco Swan, or the Goldstream or Coromal equivalent (if we can afford the extra cost and think the quality is really worth it). We are looking at a late model used, or a new van, depending on what we can find over the next few months. Most of our trips will be short hops to van parks, national or state parks. We'll look at a different lighter and stronger off road camper, or go back to a small tent when we want to do serious off-roading (eg Gibb River Road or similar).

Once we've got the van, the olny other thing we'll need is a ute-dog to tag along too! LOL!

We are enjoying exploring this site, and reading your reviews, hints, tips and trip ideas. We are looking forward to meeting other members here on the forum, and somewhere out on the road!
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon May 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. A lot of pleasant people on here. We recently had a thread where the threat of goannas was explored. Do you bite :?
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Welcome

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon May 21, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey Anna,

That is quite the intro. Great to have another camping lover aboard and we look forward to some more of you interesting and comprehensive posts. Let us know if there is anything we can do to improve the overall usability of the forum for you.

:beer
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Goannabanda » Mon May 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi guys, sorry if I write too much at times (women have a higher word quota to get through every day, and I am short a few thousand today... LOL!).

I'll have to check out the goannas thread - I have been known to bite, but I don't think I'd be allowed to post the details on this family-friendly site... ::() ... :***
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Mon May 21, 2007 11:54 pm

Anna welcome aboard.

Out of curiosity what does a professional greenie do? Are you a D9 stopper or a behind the scenes changing the world person? :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby mytribe » Tue May 22, 2007 11:02 am

Welcome to the site Anna, I'm Tania mum of 6 feral childrens, one darling husband and a dog :grin:

We're in FTG.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Tue May 22, 2007 11:19 am

Welcome to the forums Anna!

Amazing how many ex-scouters there are.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Tue May 22, 2007 1:04 pm

these DH acroynms just don't fit in an Aussie world! I feel sorry for all the ladies married to Richard Craniums!

Hi Anna... must live just around the corner from 'ya! Have a Goldstream wind-up and are taking it along the Gibb soon... will report back as to success! Keep an eye on the local paper (not the Leader, the other one, can't think of it's name at the moment), some decent priced campers have appeared over the last year in there.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Goannabanda » Tue May 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Troyk wrote:Anna welcome aboard.

Out of curiosity what does a professional greenie do? Are you a D9 stopper or a behind the scenes changing the world person? :grin:

Hi Troyk,
I am a behind the scenes changing the world kind of person - I work as an environmetnal scientist in the area of contaminated land and groundwater.

So I guess I am green by career, not by choice. :*** (just kidding!)
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Goannabanda » Tue May 22, 2007 2:57 pm

HGMonaro wrote:these DH acroynms just don't fit in an Aussie world! I feel sorry for all the ladies married to Richard Craniums!

Hi Anna... must live just around the corner from 'ya! Have a Goldstream wind-up and are taking it along the Gibb soon... will report back as to success! Keep an eye on the local paper (not the Leader, the other one, can't think of it's name at the moment), some decent priced campers have appeared over the last year in there.

Cheers, Nige

Hi Nige, thanks for the tip. It's the Independent, and I think the new one will come to our place today... ...can't wait to get home for a look!

We must be close by. We are in one of the streets off Laura St, next to the bike track. Do you have kids? Our boy is a preppie at APS.

Good luck with your rig on your trip. Have you had it long? Been on many trips in it yet? When are you heading off? So many questions!!
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Tue May 22, 2007 3:59 pm

so many questions...

Yes, the Independant (only place I've seen Goldstream campers for private sale... but it was after we'd ordered ours!)
1 son at AGPS
1 son at AGK
Had camper for about 8mths (I think)
3 test trips to work it all out
not quite into 'how many sleeps' mode yet... end of June departure!
ride along the bike path a bit (in Summer)
Drive along Laura St each Sat to get to Auskick!
Have friends that live in Helm St

I'll look out for you! LOL!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Goannabanda » Tue May 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Your van and trip plans sound great. We are jealous. A winter holiday camping in a warm place would be wonderful.
We'll have to wait a bit until we can get away - so much to do before we order our van. At least it gives us time to check out the Independant.

We do Auskick too - we are at APS with the prep group of course, Mike is one of the coaches. Sounds like you might be at one of the other venues. We have friends in Helm St too. LOL! He he he. We could have already met! I'll be looking out for you around the place.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby CCC » Fri May 25, 2007 6:44 pm

:hello: and welcome to the site :grin:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Family Campers » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:30 pm

I grew up in Aspendale- Tarongo Drive. My house backed onto the bike track.

I went to school at St Louis.

I moved away from the area when I was about 20. We live in a new estate in Cranbourne West.

I now have 3 kids (5,7,8 years).
Family Campers
Camping King

Return to Introductions: