Stowing your stuff in a campervan

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Stowing your stuff in a campervan

Postby Goannabanda » Fri May 25, 2007 4:05 pm

As we have been looking at the layouts of vairous campervans (Jayco, Goldstream & Coromal), and remembering back to how my mum organised her old Viscount camper, has got me wondering how other campervanners stow and organise their gear.

In particular, I am wondering whether it is easier to use the lockers & cupboards for equipment, food etc, and pack most of our clothing into duffle bags rather than worry about stowing the clothes in the cupboards. In my mind this would be easy for packing / unpacking, and also easy on trips to find kid's clothes etc. The plan would be to have a bag on the end of each person's bed for their clothes, which could be put down on the seats at night.

Just curious as to how you guys and girls do it....
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri May 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Plastic boxes :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Sat May 26, 2007 1:13 am

we have some stuff (kitchen utensils, food) in plastic boxes (with lids) and other stuff (linen, some clothes) in the storage areas (under seat). One of our under-seat areas has a drop down access door and I've made a set of shelves to fit in there which will hold a couple of days worth of socks, jocks, shorts and t-shirts. Finding socks, etc in a duffel bag is usually a pain and you end up roughing up everything else in the bag to get at them. All our cooking stuff (pot's & pans, plates) is stored in the cupboards under the sink/bench.

For another storage area I'm going to partion so that half is used for things like our heater & iron (her idea!) and the other half will be a shoe repositry. As there's not really a huge amount of space you really need to utilise it efficiently. We're taking a porti-potti and thats taking up a lot of room, but apparently it is required!

If you get a wind-up camper, there's no room to store bags on the beds when it's folded, they'd have to go on seats or the floor. Once set-up you can put them there until bedtime, then you'll have to move them again. Not something I'd entertain. Of the trips we've done, moving stuff to get at other stuuf is a real pain. Best thing is to take less stuff so it's all got a home!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Sat May 26, 2007 12:13 pm

As the other guys have stated plastic boxes are they way to go.

We use them for food and clothing. Clothing for 3 people for 7 days generally uses up 2 x 55 ltr boxes and food is usually just one 55 ltr box and and old esky for fruit and vege.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Camper Trailers