which ct, coromal, jayco or goldstream

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

which ct, coromal, jayco or goldstream

Postby ßµtt鮃lÿ » Tue May 15, 2007 9:34 pm

After reading the replys (and of others on different forums) about moving away from our soft floor CT when we head off around Aust, I now have a new drama. Which one should we purchase, the coromal, jayco or goldstream. I have seen pros and cons about all of these units so would really like the opion of those that own one of these style campers.
We will be looking at an Off road version and will be relistic about where we will take it (will be taking tents ect with us when we tour). I have seen alot about dust in the Jaycos, to the other suffer the same problem. we are still working out if we want to buy new or late second hand (2000 on). your help would be great.

Thanks
Chook
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
-Dave Barry --American writer, b.1947
ßµtt鮃lÿ

Postby HGMonaro » Wed May 16, 2007 12:19 pm

We have a Goldstream but looked at all 3. You'll be hard pushed to find a used Goldstream for private sale and the dealers seemed to want just under new prices (which is why we bought a new one... why buy 2nd hand when for a couple thou more we could have a new one with the colour furnishings we liked, plus there was a 'show special' which consisted of 3 items we would have optioned up anyway) All of them hold their value pretty well and what's available is a bit dependant on where you are. You don't see many Coromal's of any description around here (Melb) but Jaycos abound. You might get lucky and find a 'used once' specimen (an aunty had one like that but it was a 'road' Dove which didn't suit us).

General concensus is the Goldstream and Coromal are finished better and probably made better, but cost a fair chunk more than the equivalent Jayco so one has to weigh up whether you think they are worth the extra (a Jayco attached to your car is better than a Goldstream sitting in the dealers yard!). We didn't like the Coromals slide out kitchen. Gave slightly more space inside, but not in an area that really needs it and were worried about it's long term longevity and dust ingress around it (we could see daylight thru the gaps).

Haven't taken it along enough dirt roads to know if dust is going to be a problem. It wasn't the one time we did take it down a dusty road. Was enough dust to get the outside filthy, but probably not enough to work itself inside so I'm not claiming it's dust proof yet! We did have the fridge running on 12V at the time too which I think for best dust prevention would be best left off and the vents covered up, including the vent on the door. Ours has a pressure vent (forces air into camper to hopefully keep dust out) but I haven't been game enough to use it as I can't see how it won't pipe dust straight in that's been kicked up by the tow car!

We are also taking a tent with us on our roundy-round trip as I don't really know what or where the camper is capable of going (ours is an Outback spec with Treg hitch). However we are going to take it along the Gibb River Road so hopefully it holds together!

cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 pm

I'd pretty well have to agree with everything that HG has written.

The only thing I would add is that if you are going to get the Jayco make sure it has the 'Outback' Pack. This is much better if you are going to go on dirt roads (particularly corrugated roads). The panels on the standard Jayco will eventually warped and break if you do a lot of this travel.

My preference would be for a Goldstream but $$$ dictate otherwise and hence I will be looking at a Jayco Finch with the Outback option (I prefer it's smaller size for outback and beach travel). The Swan, Hawke, Eagle and Dove are all good but a little large if you are going to 'out-of-the-way' places. The weight isn't too bad but the length can be a concern if you are on rutted, narrow tracks.

FYI

2005 Outback Finch $16000 (private sale)

2006 Outback Finch $21000 (dealers yard)

Hope this helps.

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby ßµtt鮃lÿ » Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Thank you both for your reply, seems to be a common trend with the campers, Jayco if your on a budget and happy to put up with minor repairs ect. Coromal/Goldstream if you can streach the pocket a little (or lot will find out soon). We have been given a quote on a Jayco Eagle from The Townsville Jayco dealer, it seemed ok for what we would get $27,000 for new outback eagle with bed covers/flys, awning, pressure hot/cold water outside shower and aircon (for the wife). Am now going to start looking at what Coromal/Goldstream will charge for something similar. Will see how it goes.

Thanks again
Chook
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
ßµtt鮃lÿ

Postby Scolers » Wed May 16, 2007 9:14 pm

Seeing as you're going to buy new, something else I've noticed with Jayco ... their after sales service is crap. If you buy a new Jayco I'd love to know how they treated you AFTER you signed on the dotted line.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby PaulE » Tue May 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Hi to all, just joined the forum. I will give you my opinion as just recently (last two weeks) purchased a CT myself. I did what everyone else does, decided on what I wanted and did a great deal of research before plunging in.
I spoke with a lot of people and went and had a look at many CT's. I DO NOT want to start a debate on which one is better, this is my opinion only and others may agree or disagree.
I looked at the Jayco and the Goldstream as I was not interested in the others as I didn't like the looks but they could have been a great unit. I was very disappointed in the finish of the Jayco. We looked at quite a few new units ranging from the Dove to the Swan and were quite suprised at the lack of detail and poor finish. I actually asked the salesperson if they were brand new because some of the finish was just not up to what I would call acceptable. I then looked at some second hand units, walked straight in and straight out, no way was I going to buy one of those!!!

A mate of mine who had done some previous research pointed me in the direction of the Goldstream so I decided to go and take a look. After driving for an hour we finally arrived at the yard, took a good look over the Goldstream Storm and purchased it on the spot. Yes, there was a fair chunck of dollars difference but we didn't mind paying as we intend to keep it for many years to come, we also purchased the off road version. It was finished off in great detail, MUCH MORE solid, had quite a few extras and we were offered a 5 year warrranty. We are very happy with the purchase and are happy that we went with the Goldstream. .

We also have some friends who have a Jayco and are very happy with their CT. I am not implying that Jayco is an inferior product at all, many people obviously purchase these units and are quite happy but when we looked they were finished poorly compared to the Goldstream.
2007 Golstream Storm
PaulE
Boy Scout

Postby ßµtt鮃lÿ » Wed May 23, 2007 12:06 am

I have spoken to both goldstream and coromal for a quote, yet to hear back from coromal but goldstream where good to speak to and had a quote to me withing 2 hours (including all the extras that we are after) i have heard that there after sales service is great. There is about $7,000 between the goldstream and jayco but living in Thursday Island it is a bit hard for me to go and have a look if it worth the extra money for the goldstream, might have to treat the family for a holiday to brisbane and see whats around.

PaulE I would like to hear who your new camper turns out, after you have taken it for a good run maybe you can post something to let me know.

Thanks
Chook
ßµtt鮃lÿ

Postby Goannabanda » Fri May 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Congratulations on your purchase PaulE, no doubt you will be keen to hit the road and take your new baby out for a "spin". Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

We are hoping to get out to see the Goldstream and Coromal campers in the next couple of weeks. We had a look at Jayco already. They would probably suit us for the price, esp. if we go second hand and plan to upgrade later. BUT now we are thinking of buying new (because the 2nd hand ones are almost new price anyway), so the quality of the finish, durability etc have become much more important to us. If we buy new, we will hold onto it for years, and years, and years...

Am looking forward to reading more feedback on the various campers in this thread.
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Goannabanda » Sun May 27, 2007 12:26 am

We went out today to the Goldstream dealer (in Caulfield) to have a bit of a look... ...well, we're not ones to let the grass grow under our feet...
...and are now the proud owners of a 2005/06 Goldstream Offroad Storm!!!
:+
If you believe the sales spin, it had only been used for one 12 week 10,000km trip, and looks (almost) like new inside and out. It's got bag awnings and annexe, a SMEV cooker and oven, microwave, outdoor table & cooker etc. We'll need to add some bits like jerry holders, bike rack, 12v battery, but we have a mate who is a coachbuilder, so will be no probs to get that done. :?#

We'll bring the new baby home next week... ...now to name it (a family tradition), and to pick a destination for it's christening trip!!

Time to celebrate... ...cheers! :beer
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Sun May 27, 2007 1:08 am

Goannabanda wrote:...well, we're not ones to let the grass grow under our feet...

you don't say! congrats!

we bought ours there too.

since you're now the proud owner of a gas regulator... check that it works (there's been lots of problems with some of them 'gumming up'... it's well documented, we had to get ours replaced)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Sun May 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Goannabanda wrote:We went out today to the Goldstream dealer (in Caulfield) to have a bit of a look... ...well, we're not ones to let the grass grow under our feet...
...and are now the proud owners of a 2005/06 Goldstream Offroad Storm!!!
:+

Time to celebrate... ...cheers! :beer

That was quick!

Are we allowed to enqire of the price?

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Goannabanda » Sun May 27, 2007 11:49 pm

No worries Scolers - it was $25k.

The new base model Storms are just over $30k, or just over $40 / 42k?? for one with all the bells and whistles (Fiamma awning, air-con, H&C H2O, outside shower, CD radio, zip down side wall, glass top sink, etc). With the inclusions ours has, it would have been $32k for new.

HGMonaro - thanks for the tip about the gas regulator - how do you mean "gumming up" exactly? The Man Of The House would probably know what you mean, but I don't have that Y chromosome that helps with those things... :lol:

While on the subject - are there any other things to look out for? I'll be re-reading the other threads around here to see what others have reported, but if there is anything else that we should do / know about these vans, please feel free to shout it out! Thanks. :grin:

Now we've jumped in and bought our van, my folks are already talking about trading in their grey-nomad pop-top palace on a Goldstorm Offroad Crown (the no-ended model) so they can chase us around the back-country! Plus being able to get the wind-up into their garage would be a bonus, and save $$$ on storage fees for the big van.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Mon May 28, 2007 11:41 am

Geez that ain't a bad price! We're hoping to move to QLD in a month or so and will keep our eyes peeled for a decent 2nd hand Goldstream. They are very difficult to find here in Perth unless you want a new one ...

Happy camping!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Mon May 28, 2007 1:30 pm

yep, sounds a good price.

re the regulators... there has been a problem with them stopping working because apparently the gas has been reacting with a component of what the flexible hoses were made of which causes the internal mechanism to 'gum up' and stop allowing gas through. There's a PDF detailing tests by Boral (I think) about it floating around. Since your camper will be a similar vintage to ours I would say unless it's already been changed, it's a candidate for one of the ones that 'gums' up. The one that died was grey in colour but the replacement they gave me was green. I'm not sure if all the grey ones are suspect (he had a large bag full of them when I took mine back) but it's probably worth asking the question when you pick it up (or maybe before).

Not sure about other things. If you've got bed ends, make sure you've got 2 guy ropes (that are long enough... they go up a long way) per corner as it is much easier to tension than with the supplied 1 per corner. If you've got a Treg hitch, treat it with respect... very easy to squash a finger or worse with this type of hitch. When winding the roof down, watch the steel limit cable as it can lay down one way that stops that corner of the roof from going completely down, which means you have to wind it back up a couple of inches to be able to push it in. That's about all I can think off in that regard.

We've been making a few mods to ours to make life during our trip a little easier. We've split (cut them and reinstalled with extra hinges) two of the lids to the storage areas so that you only have to remove one seat cushion to get into them (otherwise you have to remove one cushion and lift the other one up as well). We've built a set of shelves to go in one cupboard that has a drop down access door. This is to put the next few days socks, jocks, t-shirts and shorts in so they are easily accessed. Made some bed covers out of that rubberised curtain material to protect the matresses from dust and the canvas if it's damp. Have bought some 3mm shock cord (occy strap) to make clothes lines out off (one inside will go between the bed ends, outside one to go under bed ends somehow... haven't worked that one out yet!). I'm going to bolt a bit of a wire cage underneath so I can collect & carry a little bit of firewood without having to put it in the car or camper. Probably a few other things I can't remember!

There's lots of extra bits'n'pieces you'll need most likely (eg 15 amp power cable, drinking water hose, sulage hose, leveling chocks, stabiliser leg chocks) but when you get it you'll be able to sort a lot of those aspects out and can ask more questions!

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Goannabanda » Mon May 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks Nige for your detailed post - I'll make dure that the Man of The House sees your reply. You've got some great ideas there that we'll be keen to try out. :?#

And thanks to the gang for your positive feedback re the price - it's reassuring to know that the expert panel on here doesn't think we paid too much. Scolers - maybe you'll have to make a detour on your way to QLD to A J Thomas in Caulfield??? How about a spot of Victorian camping on your way??? :beer
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Camper Trailers