Towing

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Towing

Postby reef » Mon May 28, 2007 2:26 pm

We have a boat 4.6m cuddy cab that we load up with all our camping gear when we go away, loaded weight is 1458kg, have installed electric brakes on the trailer because of the weight, it is all pulled by a Kia Sorento on a heavy duty Hayman Reese towbar. She does a pretty good job of it but we only ever go about 3hrs max from home. At chrissy this year we are headed to Yamba a big 10hrs for us and the Kia. I want to know about transmission coolers. Kia (of course) reckon we don't need another one , the Sorento can handle it, but they won't be in my car on a summers day with three kids under 6 in the back, climbing some great hills from Wollongong to Yamba with the temp gauge flying around so does anybody have any ideas or experiences - I have asked 4wd shops etc but because I am blonde and female and drive a pretend 4wd, you really get the idea they just want a quick sale, so can anybody help me with ideas ??????
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Mon May 28, 2007 4:49 pm

Does the gauge go up and down much as it is?

Realistically if your gauge is gunna do crazy stuff its just as likely to do it after 1 hour as 5 hour or more. Whats the towing capacity of the vehicle? ie are you reaching the upper limits of its towing capabilities? Other wise it should be apples.

Is the cooler up front and is it getting air pushed or pulled? is it thermo or mechanical fan?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Mon May 28, 2007 6:18 pm

Is it auto at all? if it is they are easy to hook up if it has a smaller one already there usually under or near the radiator the pipes will already be run for you :) Sometimes these coolers are incorporated into the radiators too i would speak to a reputable mechanic who can usually look at your car at the same time to tell you how hard it will be to fit etc.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby reef » Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 am

the gauge goes about 3/4 of the way but it normally goes halfway with no load on the back. We never put the ac on when we are towing fully loaded - something I would like to do on the way to Yamba ! Am I dreaming ??? Towing capacity of the Kia is 2300kg. The fan is up the front and I don't get the air pushed or pulled bit Huh? And how do i tell if it is thermo or mechanical ? And yes it is Auto !
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue May 29, 2007 11:41 am

If its up front then its definately thermo and its in a "push" configuration

You should be able to tow with the aircon on. If you can't then tell Kia - cause theres something wrong - you shouldnt get that much heat soak from the condensor.

Otherwise I suggest you ask on Australia4wd.com cause they have a whole sub forum dedicated to Kia 4x4's with lots of good advice!
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby reef » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks so much ! Just another qustion while i'm picking brains - does anyone know anything about weight distributing hitches, sway control and altering the suspension. looking at my load would you think I may have to look at these options ?
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Bearded shark » Tue May 29, 2007 11:13 pm

I am a mechanic and yes with that load u SHOULD definitely have a larger than std trans cooler. Your temp guage is a good tool but doesn't tell u how hot yor trans is getting, altho it's temp will increase along with the engine...but to what it should be & what point is beyond dangerous u won't know until it's too late, even if u had a trans temp guage, unless u r a kia meachanic. It's probably not the best car to be towing that sort of weight with anyhow so protect yorself as much as poss. Most auto trans places can set u up with a very lge cooler but be aware, some cars with ecu controlled gearshifts will react adversely to a trans that runs too cool. U may find the box shifts a little earlier than b4 with a lge cooler, not that thats a bad thing. Kia's and other brands alike r not really designed to be modified so make sure whoever does it, knows wot they r doing.
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Wed May 30, 2007 11:24 am

Bearded Shark realistically the weight of the oil is going to play a bigger role than the temp is it not?

I think you would be hard pressed to find an autotrans which isnt controlled by the ECU or at least the BCM these days but you can always reflash the eprom to react differently regarding the temp.

Thus I would suggest a larger supply of oil (ie a res tank with breather) rather than a larger trans cooler. But hey I'm no mechanic.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bearded shark » Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 pm

No, they can play an equal part in that. U DON'T wanna change viscosity from manufacturers specs...that can do all sorts of things. The reasons people use expansion tanks is also to keep it cool. Haven't heard of many doing that on a road car (other than a tricked up T400 behind a 400chev). Theory is...more liquid sharing the same load= less temp. But even in doing that 1 can encounter probs. Resevoir must me mounted in line in the right place so a breather can b used without losing pressure unless u want to bleed the system which then means design must be right so as not to trap air in. A big cooler is easier to find a mounting place 4, requires almost no mods, and can give very good results.
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Wed May 30, 2007 10:50 pm

Cool!

Most of my experiance is from sub 11sec streeters ;)
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Thu May 31, 2007 1:28 pm

brmmm brmmm

I only have 350 cubes of Chev in front of my TH400 :(
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby reef » Thu May 31, 2007 9:48 pm

thanks guys, getting a bit technical there for me, might try and find me a decent mechanic
reef
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide