What CB radio's are you using?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Jeeps wrote:What does the lisence give you? Does it give you a private frequency? Or does it allow you to transmit at 25w on CB channels?

Not 100% sure, but from what the operator said my understanding is that you can use 25w on commercial frequencies. Which, on the Icom 400, there are 88 spaces for Commercial freq's to be programmed in, anywhere between 450-500Mhz (thats around 2000 possible different channels ::() ). So I reckon even if you don't get your 'own' channel, you could very readily find one that no one else is using and pick that. But then you need some one else on the other end with the same freq.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Jeeps » Wed May 09, 2007 4:40 pm

I think you'll find that you need to licence and register a frequency as well, you can't just pick one :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Wed May 09, 2007 5:01 pm

So do you need a CB licence in the Eastern states just to own a CB?

:?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Scolers wrote:So do you need a CB licence in the Eastern states just to own a CB?

:?

Scol.

Nah. CB stands for Citizens Band. Which are the 40 designated 'free range' channels anyone and their dog can use :lol:

We're going off on a tangent talking about using other channels, outside the normal CB range, and using 25w of power instead of 5w.

Jeeps, thats the kind of information I'd rather not know :*** :(

Like I said, clear as mud. I'll ring them again tomorrow and try and find out more.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks Ozzy ... I wasn't going to put a CB in the fourbie and drive all the way over to QLD just to get pinged for a bl**dy licence!

:$

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:43 pm

I put in a Uniden uh088sx. A basic unit from Dick Smiths. Haven't used it in a convoy situation as yet so not sure of it's range etc. :?
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bearded shark » Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 am

I have a TX3200 with a 6' 6Db gain arial on a 1' spring base...6Db- about all the gain u will get out of a tx3200. All this stuff can b bloody confusing so I'll try 2 make it simple. 1st this is a UHF not a HF radio (very expensive but good) and so range and mods r limited. Don't be fooled into getting a huge cloud splitting arial...u will make it worse, & n don't get the ones that look like a mobile phone aria, despite what gain they claim to give...they r useless. I get between 15-30k's out of mine in the city but my guess is that is with the help of a few repeater stations. 2 truly test range u would have to get 2 equal set ups and try them on an open plain until they cut out and then again in the forest. Most 2ways will only have a 3-5Km max range in the forest and 10-15 on open rd. HF is the way 2 go if u wanna go isolated places as they have a vast range. Again tho there r variables involved.
Bearded shark
Camping King

Previous

Return to Gear Guide