Camp Lighting???

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby clackerz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:14 pm

I generally use a gas lantern on a pole - it can be moved around and throws alot of light.
I have some battery lanterns and lights that get kept in the tent to illuminate the tent and for emergency lighting.
Having said that sometimes you can never have enough light.
My next expense will be some lights that can be run off a battery to save on the gas....
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm looking to... dont laugh... Fairy lights!

Bunnings has some fairy lights (LED ones) that run off a 6V lantern (dolphin torch style) battery! a freind has them and they last ages
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby clackerz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Komodo wrote:I'm looking to... dont laugh... Fairy lights!

Bunnings has some fairy lights (LED ones) that run off a 6V lantern (dolphin torch style) battery! a freind has them and they last ages

(LOL) But seriously it sounds like a good idea - maybe if they were called...firefly lights....or LED Glow Lights.....might be more appealing!!!
I just hate un-tangling those things - once a year at xmas is enough for me!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Keeks » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:33 pm

Komodo wrote:I'm looking to... dont laugh... Fairy lights!

When we went to see my sis when she was camping just after Xmas nearly all the camp sites (powered) had fairy lights hanging off their annexes/screen houses... now I assume Xmas and the "decorate your camp site" played a big part in them having them but from what I remember they weren't using other lighting barr a couple who had spotlights.

It looked pretty :)

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby Cruzin » Tue May 08, 2007 9:36 am

We use standard Gas lantern

Also the x 12v Fluro bulb in "lead light" pictured

I have also made 2x "Speaker brand" LED flood lights (called work lights in the mining industry) to use over the CT Stove or out side BBQ etc

detailed photos here:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/just_c ... /my_photos

or tiny url is
http://tinyurl.com/2deb3h

And the best of all is a set of 4x garden solar lights placed around the site (where tent pegs lurk looking for shins to skin in the dark)

There are a whole lot more ideas out there - you just need to determine what suits you, your pocket and your tinkering ability.

rgds Shane T

Edited 9/5/2007
Sorry folks looks as though Yahoo UK are now blocking my pics.

I will re-size and load some pics to photobucket later in the week
Last edited by Cruzin on Wed May 09, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:50 am

Flood lights look great!

We ended up using a compact fluoro in an older version of the lead light, I was really impressed as it didn't get hot at all and we just move it to where we need it (ie. over cooking area etc), I like the look of the newer version with a clip on the back though.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Dual Fuel Coleman Lantern the way to go for me.

Postby Jason1200GS » Tue May 08, 2007 9:28 pm

I like the fact it's easy to use,cheap to run, and less of a hassle than gas, as far as refilling botles,creating rubbish with disposable cannisters etc.
It also happens to throw off a decent light, making the expense worth it.
Jason1200GS

Postby Troyk » Wed May 09, 2007 7:45 pm

We have those 12v twin 8w flouros from super cheap auto. They have a magnet on the back so you can stick them on the steel poles and frames of the CT. Put them straight over the stove and even over the bed for some night time reading.

We have three and run them off a car battery, and get about 3 nights, even when combined with charging video camera and DVD batteries. I am currently experiment with a small solar panel to prolong the battery life.

We also have a gas latern on a spear as our central light.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Goannabanda » Sun May 27, 2007 12:40 am

We use our ancient Coleman gas lantern with splitter and pole for over the stove / kitchen bench. I am one of those who likes the hiss of the gas.

We also have a rechargeable Coleman fluro lantern which we use on the dinner table and inside the tent. Not as bright as the gas, but a bit more durable and safer for kids. It has a 240v charger. We also bought a small solar panel which charges it up nicely during the day. We usually put the solar panel on the dash of the car and the lantern down on the floor. A bit of double sided tape to hold the solar panel in place works a treat.

I like the sound of the unleaded fuel lights - must have a squiz at them when we go shopping next.
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Bearded shark » Tue May 29, 2007 11:21 pm

I use a lge gas lantern which, when used and packed gently, doesn't chew thru mantels and I replaced the glass with a mesh type guard (approx. $10)...lets just as much light thru if not more. Another option; I don't know where or how u set up camp but if it's just 4 ten minutes 2 do dishes u could use yor car headlights. I have dual batts and lights pointing in every direction. It's proven VERY useful. Not sure on legality but 1 can be a little sneaky about how 1 wires them up so u don't need all yor lights on at 1 time.
Bearded shark
Camping King

LED lights

Postby paps » Wed May 30, 2007 12:34 am

I am thinking of purchasing 1.5 meters of the LED lights. Anyone had any experience with them. Been looking at the LED Strip lights at http://www.kampers.com.au

Any thoughts?

ben
paps
Camping King

Postby Bearded shark » Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 pm

I've not seen the ones u r speaking of but L.E.D. lights can be very bright 2 look at but generally r not too good 4 seeing with. But with modern technology...u never know
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Hissy » Thu May 31, 2007 8:01 am

Papa,

These L.E.D's look like they will give off heaps of light.
My concern would be how bright they are to look at.

Most interested in L.E.D lighting so keep us informed as to your thoughts & if you do buy one.

Soon i will post my variations of lighting that we use.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Lights

Postby paps » Thu May 31, 2007 8:24 am

Well I took the plunge and ordered 1.5 metres for over our kitchen area on the trailer.

Fingers crossed....will keep you posted in about 5-7 days.

Cheers
Ben
paps
Camping King

Postby s4j » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:57 am

We have quite a menagerie of lights....over the kitchen sink is a 12v LED light....although some of the bulbs are no longer working.....camp store says the LED's don't like variations in temperature.....particularly cold....bugger...we don't stop camping just because Winter is here...
LED rechargable light in the toilet tent....recharges off 12v connection....little 12v fluro for centre overhead pole...gas light on pole for BBQ...which now has the mesh insert....bad batch of glass recently....cheap manufactured garbage if you ask me.....last glass was 20yr old and never an issue....bugger friends kid who knocked it over......we also just purchased a big fluro that runs off out secondary battery....used in the communal tarp....
s4j
Camping King

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide