Battery Charger

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Battery Charger

Postby paps » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi all,

Is something like the following ok for charging a 130AH Deep Cycle Battery??

12V 12A Switchmode Dual Stage Lead Acid Battery Float Chargers
*Suits Sealed or Un-sealed Lead Acid Batteries
*Compact, Reliable and fully automatic
*Reverse, Short circuit, thermal and overload protection
*Uses advanced MOSFET technology
*Over 85% efficiency
These fully automatic chargers use switchmode technology to efficiently charge high capacity sealed and unsealed lead acid batteries. Simply plug them onto the battery and forget - the batteries will fast charge, then automatically switch to float (trickle) charge when full. They are housed in a robust metal frame, can be powered from 110 or 240V, feature fan cooling, and include 700mm fly leads with heavy duty battery clips. Each unit features a power indicator LED and power switch, as well as a switch to select between full or half current for when you are charging batteries of a small capacity. The two larger models also include a 5 segment LED bargraph to indicate the charge state.
Protected for output short circuit, polarity inversion, over-temperature and overload.
Supplied with a mains lead.

Specifications:
Cat. MB-3610 MB-3612 MB-3614
Max. Current: 6A / 3A +/- 5% 12A / 6A +/- 5% 6A / 3A +/- 5%
Wattage: 85W 160W 160W
Equaliser Charge: 14.4V +/- 0.1V 14.4V +/- 0.1V 28.8V +/-0.2V
Floating Charge: 13.8V +/- 0.1V 13.8V +/- 0.1V 27.6V +/-0.2V
Operating Ambient: 0~50 degrees C 0~50 degrees C 0~50 degrees C
Dimensions WxHxD: 168 x 72 x 45mm 162 x 96 x 48mm 168 x 96 x 48mm
Weight: 650g 850g 850g
AC input: 110/220VAC switchable 47~63Hz
Efficiency: >85%

MB-3612 - 12V @ 12A

Cheers
Ben
paps
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:40 pm

12amps ia a BIG domestic charger (a lot of the comercial units are up over 100amps I think snapon may even make one thats 200 amps!)

If it has a high / lo charge rate switch its always better to charge on hi only for a short period of time (3 hours or so) before switching to the lower charge rate
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Battery Charger

Postby paps » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks Komodo,

So thats a yes?

I was under the impression that being a smart charger it would auto switch as you suggested. i.e. It would fast charger and then switch to trickle charge.

Call me paranoid but I dont know anything about this sort of stuff and the new battery cost me $300. :-)

Thanks for your help
Ben
paps
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:14 pm

How much is the battery charger worth?

Yes it is a yes

As for smart chargers yes they do do that automatically - HOWEVER many do have a ligh and low switch incase the battery is extreemly low charge
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Battery Charger

Postby paps » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks mate. They are $99 from Jarcar for the 12amp that as a Low (6amp) and a High setting.
paps
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Not sure which unit it is cant seem to see it on the Jaycar site (though I havent looked real hard)

Thats the one I've got - works a charm. Its only sposed to charge upto 200Ah but i've use it to charge a battery bank in excess of 400Ah.
$170 and I'd buy another in a flash if i needed another!
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:55 pm

edit - just searched tha cat no.s looks the goods - the charge wires look a little small but other than that it looks the goods!

I personally would crack it open and change the charge wires - but they probably dont need it concidering that its realistically going to have a maximum flow of slightly under 180watts @ peak @ 100% efficiency.
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Battery weight vs charger

Postby Hissy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:01 am

Komodo,

I am re gigging my trailer before next spring and have the following Q of U.

Presently i have a capacity of 3 days of 12 volt life, fridge and led lighting.

I presently have a battery bank of 330amps which weighs 143kgs, Sealed gel cells.

2nd battery bank is 130amps weighs 35kg approx.

Do i increase this battery bank up to 390amps @ 105kg at a cost of $450.

Or do i buy one of these charges for $170 wire it in permanently.

Will it work in an enclosed space or do they trip out on high temp?

The dollar $$ is not that critical as it is tax time and a refund will be heading my way.

P.S. I have just fitted a larger jockey wheel as the battery weight across the front of my trailer is noticable. Ball weight ir around 100kg.

Look forward to discussion on this point.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:13 am

I dont quite understand the question to be honest...

300+ Ah of battery capacity is HUGE!

Firstly will you have BOTH battery banks on board at the same time?
:?

Any how wether adding capacity or adding a charger is the best option depends on the camping you are doing.

If you are camping predominantly for extended periods in one place with no power connections then adding capacity MAY be the better option. Other wise supplimenting a smaller bank (say 200Ah) with solar would be the better option.

If you are touring and moving camp every day or couple of days then 100Ah of capacity should be MORE than enough.

If you are camping at places which have access to 240V then 100Ah with a mains charger will be the best choice.

---------------------------------------------

Picture this, you set up camp in a remote place no access to 240V power and you plan to stay 5 nights but you only have capacity for 3.

Well fistly if we move between 1/3 and 1/2 of that battery power to the vehicle which charges the batterys every time you go for a drive and connect this to the trailer when at camp via an anderson plug setup then we should see out 5 days without too much of a worry.

If we add a solar panel (roughly 80 - 100watts) to the trailer setup instead (remote solar would be my choice rather than fixed) then we also should see out the 5 days + with no worries and we dont have to drive the car.

If we add a combination of the two above mentioned methods then surely weeks of remote camping are possible.

I would be very interested to see what is sucking the juice though as that is a lot of RC to be going through in 3 days. That said i drain a 100Ah battery in roughly 30 hours just running the fridge. However I run a Waeco CF-80 which is a very large fridge and I run it on the coldest setting and I run it on "high" mode rather than "economy" mode so i can see how 330Ah could run down in 3 days
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Hissy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:37 pm

Let me explain.

I would have two different battery bank types.
Not both at the same time.

Both deep cycle. One gel cell like the panasonic type. One wet cell made by Trojan.

I was not sure if mixing battery types is a good idea.

The weight issue was probably my biggest concern.

I already charge off an anderson plug when going to a site. That way i know i am fully charged when setting up camp.

My calc on consumption is based on 50amps per day using a 330Amp supply.
Not wanting to go below 11.8 volts or 50% of the total capacity gives me roughly 3.3 days.

I did have three 60 watt panels on my trailer but as i am removing the lid and fitting a camper top i am going to lose the panels for a while.

Most likely when we setup we do not move for three nights.

What about heat when charging. I figured i would fit the charger if i went that option into my battery compartment which is a standard large tool box on the front of the trailer.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Re the charger : It will get hot - no doubt thats the nature of the beast when reducing voltage at a higher current. But that said I would think that it should be fine provided that there is at least some ventalation whilst charging (which there should be especially if charging wet cells any way due to hydrogen build up)

Re: mixing battery type - I agree dont mix different type or age batteries.

Personally I would just look to adding a light weight removeable frame (think aluminium) that can easily be removed off the top of the trailer with two people to set the camper up and get the panels into the sunlight.

Can't really think of anything else really at the moment - in very dopey mode at the moment lol. Too much time off work = too much work to do now that im back LOL

If I think of anything else I'll post up. Sorry im not much good ATM
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide