Where Have Our Dams Gone

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Where Have Our Dams Gone

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Spent a bit of time in the Snowy Mountains this weekend, in particular at Eucembene and Blowering Dams. There isnt that much water left in them.

At Eucembene I was standing beside the Eucembene River where once most likely 500 feet of water once covered it.

Down at Blowering I recon 300 feet of water would have covered where I was standing.

Some pics below to show you.

Derek

EUCEMBENE DAM

Looking down from where the edge of the water once was

The river

The old road. This bridge would have been under several hundred feet of water for dozens of years. Was this the original Snowy Mountains Highway over the mountains?

Being under water so long the rot has done the damage

These trees would have snagged many a line and/or lure. In fact most trees in the area were decorated with old fishing line.

BLOWERING DAM

The Tumut River bed above the dam wall

This would have been at least 300 feet under water when the dam was full

Once again would this have been the Snowy Mountains Highway before the dam was built?

Even after all those years under water the line marking on a strip of bitumen still stands. Who remembers the single yellow and white dotted lines

What once was 300 feet deep and thousands of acres of water surface that now resembles a lunar landscape

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:27 pm

Mrs Bravo and I were there in April. It was was a real eye opener seeing the levels of the dams. Apparently unless there is good rain or a big snow coverage there may be no electricity produced next summer.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:40 pm

There was already some snow on the high mountains. Farmers on the Riverina around here are saying it is a text book case for good rains coming.

Heres hoping.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:25 pm

Unfortunately this is pretty much the state of dams around the country, the exception being NQ where the dams are near full. The three main dams for Brisbane are less than 20%. Adelaide is even worse and Melbourne and Sydney not much better.

An issue with regards to climate change is that future rainfall events are going to be less frequent but more intense. Which means in the future dams are going to fill up quickly (which will create water quality problems, blue green algal blooms just one) and then drain down to low levels. So what you are seeing is a possible glimpse into the future. Think of the ecosystems that only have limited period of drought resistance.

While dam yields are fallen in recent times because we now have better data (the recent drought provides a data at one extreme) and better a*nalytical techniques, the impact of climate change could dramatically reduce yeilds even further, making this a very serious issue.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Hissy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:54 am

Derek,

How cold was it when you visited?

Do they expect a good snow this year?

We are heading down that way with the kids in August so that they can see the snow for the first time. We can hardly wait.

Did you take the CT?
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Hey Derek,

How well could you follow the old road? The one that used to be udner water?

Certainly an eye opener.

::()

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Its not climate change its a drought! We live in a DRY continent with very little inland water supply.

We dont have records that can accurately tell us that the useage V's rainfall per capita have increased by [i]X[\i] percentage or that the average rain fall over 1000 years has changed etc etc.

Far too many variables exist for solid proof of "global warming" or "climate change" to be proven.

Then again I don't believe that eh hole in the Ozone is anything to concern ourselves with unless it covers its self up!

Too much publicity and media hype exists around "global warming" and "climate change"

Theres smarter people than you and I out there and if it was that much of an issue there would be no question about it - things WOULD change.

Minorities, scare tactics, shock publicity etc will ALWAYS get more media attention than realists will ever get.

Dont get me wrong - YES I do believe we are in trouble with our water situation. Yes I do believe we are to blame for our current water situation, for using too much water for too long.

BUT No I dont believe in global warming or climate change.

We are only more "alert" to "global warming" and "climate change" and listen to "global warming experts" because of our current state of drought. Most other countries couldn't give 2 hoots more than they gave 10 - 15 years ago.

As for more rain less frequently - you do realise when the Eildon Wier was completed (ie the 2nd wall commisioned) it filled up entirely in under 18 months! thats something ridiculous like 30 times the capacity of sydney harbour! Thats a SH!T load of water to fall from the sky in any ones language!

Interesting Pics though Derek. Dad was up at Eildon a couple of weeks ago and said the bridge at Big river was about 30 foot out of the water.

Also it wont be the water thats cause the deterioration of the bridge. In fact the water will have preserved it. It will be the oxygen and more importantly the sunlight thats caused the bridge to deteriorate rapidly!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:22 pm

Hey everyone!!! John Howard has joined camping.com!

Sorry Komodo ... coudn't resist it ... :grin:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 pm

The road at Eucembene wasnt able to be followed for long because of that bridge. The one at Blowering went for ages.

Was 4 degrees on the mountain and about 6 down the bottom on Sunday.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 pm

Scolers wrote:Hey everyone!!! John Howard has joined camping.com!

Sorry Komodo ... coudn't resist it ... :grin:

Scol.

Yeah but even John Howard is coming around. Must be an election year. :grin:

Komodo, fair enough, we are entitled to our points of view. I'll avoid the rant in the future.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Scolers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Troyk wrote:Yeah but even John Howard is coming around. Must be an election year. :grin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:00 am

I am with Komodo with this one here I believe that there may be a problem but if it was so huge things would happen faster. I am more worried about natural resources eg oil some of them are running out quickly.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Fonty » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:12 am

ha ha it is the same issue oil and water. The issue is that we choose to ignore it because of the dollars involved.

I think there is a remote chance that the climate isn't changing because of our overuse of fossil fuels, after all the evidence is quite compelling. But think guys, even if they know about it, they would choose to keep their economy afloat rather than close what oil reserves are left. It's not so long ago that Communism was a serious threat to Them that they would risk the Collapse that would come if the Oil market was pulled from underneath it.

In the end we are just animals who have dominated and overpopulated our environment and have proceeded to destroy it- just like any other animal would have done.

It's no myth that the Polar ices are melting and the Oceans are rising. The Australian population is mostly coastal but we choose to ignore it and hope it goes away.

It's also no myth that our continent is a desert one as you have already said. And even facing this long term drought our governments still play their games of politics and only do enough to get them elected next year. Any bushie who isn't connected to the mains water knows how to conserve water, but even facing possible disaster Melbourne just continues to chew up the water coming to it from the rest of Victoria. Every building in Melbourne should have a watertank on it, not just the houses that the councils and governments choose to reimburse for it. Not one toilet should be flushed using precious water from the drought ridden countryside. But life goes on and we can still water our gardens between 6 and 8am every morning.

Every building should also have solar panels and solar heating coils too at the very least. But our collective minds don't work that way. If everyone created their own electricity who would get rich from our use of it?

And Troy don't be shy to have a rant because someone else has too, all our opinions are as worthwhile as each others. :) In fact I think common sense tends to end at the individual, put people together and the bigger the numbers often the less sense is made! :armsup

Andrew's 2 cents. Or 1.6 cents with inflation.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby CCC » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:52 am

remarkable pics again Derek.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SMP » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:01 pm

And as long as that is tye case, the poor old Snowy will continue to die. There is not even enough water going down it to wash away silt and algea at the moment. I realy do hope to see the situation allow the resoration of some percentage of flow down the Snowy. A great Australian icon on the verge of death. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat