where do u get ur gear?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

where do u get ur gear?

Postby shermo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Has anyone in Queensland found a good place that sells camping gear at a reasonable price?

All the standard guys are all the same price and there is very little in the way of comparision for pricing.

Sounds like when I bought my bought my boat - cause BOAT stands for break out another thousand

Shermo
shermo
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Not sure where you are but have you tried BCF.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby shermo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 pm

Yeah been to BCF and am also a member.
We are starting our camping all over again after not going for at least 5 years so have to re-stock gear all over again.

BUGGER!!!!

Shermo
shermo
Camping King

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 pm

hi shermo try the weekend shopper if not try moss st at springwood there is 3 camp stores. yhe store thats closest to auto barn ive found is the dearest, my fav is the down under camp store they have a large range of gear & if you need a tent try their store at rocklea as they have a heap set up up stairs?
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby shermo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Thanks Rocket.
Had a look last w/e at moss street and will check out the weeken shopper.

There is also a place called Tent world at lutwyche that looks really good also.

Shermo
shermo
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 pm

Shermo,

I have found Down Under to be about the best. I usually go to the one at Caplaba (as its 2mins from my house), though Rocklea store is much bigger. BCF (also 2 mins from my house) is good for larger purchases not the best for consumables.

If you are go the camping show this weekend at the RNA the main stores are usually well represented.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby sunny_coast_cpl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:02 pm

We use Anaconda, we can always find a good deal there.
sunny_coast_cpl

Postby JM1375 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:05 pm

We buy at Anaconda, or one of our local Camping Disposal stores. Anaconda can be quite cheap if you look out for sale items.
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby garbage » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:33 pm

For camping bits and pieces, you can't go past BigW.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 pm

Our local BIG W (capalba in brisbane) use to have a good range of camping gear, especially things such as mantles etc, but with BCF and Down Under Camping in the same area they have cut their camping section right back. Though BCF (use to be the much better Campmart) and DUC have been there for years.

Considering how popular camping is, there ain't that many stores really. Well in Brisbane anyhow.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby waltzingmatilda » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi, Big W, Aussie Disposals, Rays tent City and Gympie has an excellent independent camping store, we found this one on our last holiday. happy camping. Also try ebay bargains can be found if you keep watching auctions.
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:49 am

Pretty much what everyone else has said. We try BigW first and if they don't have what we want we got o BCF et.al.

Also try the Trading Post for second tents as ppl buy them and never use them.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Gear

Postby Frilly » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:12 am

Yeah Troyk, I go to the same Capalaba stores as you, BCF and Down Under... they are pretty good. Find Down Under less expensive and more interesting range. I've also purchased my small coleman tent from The Great Escape at Slacks Creek and my bigger coleman (brand new) off EBay for the same price!! Looking at getting one of the Techni Ice boxes off EBay too, that you guys have spoken about in another forum. For basics I go to Big W or KMart. OHHH yeah Tentworld at Lutwyche is pretty good too, knowledgable staff and easy parking for a busy location...
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby will_deness » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:11 pm

I personally dont go to BCF because I feel they dont have the range of other well stocked stores. Even tho the stoores are huge and everything is piled up (to give impression of lots). If you took out the BCF brand stuff there is very little to choose from. And the non BCF range is usually quite a bit dearer(prolly to make store brand more attractive). I like to go to Moss street and shop around a bit even tho its 40-50 ks from home, its still a nice outing.

P.S this isnt a bash BCF post I just dont like all in 1 type stores universally, because often a low price has a high cost.
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:31 pm

freerocketman1 wrote:hi shermo try the weekend shopper if not try moss st at springwood there is 3 camp stores. yhe store thats closest to auto barn ive found is the dearest, my fav is the down under camp store they have a large range of gear & if you need a tent try their store at rocklea as they have a heap set up up stairs?

I would have to agree with this, Down Under Camping on Beaudesert Road at Salisbury is very competitive.

They usually have a very good display of tents already erected upstairs and I personally have purchased 4 or 5 tents from there over the years.

Moss Street is also another good place to check out as has already been suggested but I found that the Down Under Camping store there was not quite as good as the one at Salisbury.

I have found BCF to be a bit more expensive overall on regular stuff but again great with their 'specials'
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide