NSW - Allyn River Forest Park

NSW - Allyn River Forest Park

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:32 pm

Spent saturday night there. It is a part of Chichester State Forest and is on the southern side of the Barrington Wilderness area. Access is from Gresford and the road is tarred most of the way. The Park is set in small areas near the river. The river is not visible from the camping area but you could certainly hear it. There is a long drop toilet in the camping area. There are other areas set up for picnicing but no camping signs abound. The river was running strongly and it is a rocky bottom with a lot of small waterfalls, rapids, pools etc. Best of all it is free camping. You need to bring your own firewood or you have to scour the nearby forest for fallen timber.
Whilst there we walked a bit, drove up to Mt Allyn lookout (good dirt road) opened up our camp oven account with a stew and then some damper with golden syrup. Bloody cold overnight. Came back via a 4 wheel drive track from the Allyn River to Lostock Dam. Have been told it gets very crowded over holiday weekends. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Where are the piccies!!!! Sound like a great spot, would love to see more of Barrington :)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:21 pm

In our house piccies are womens work. I am allowed to drive but not use the camera :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:39 pm

OK that's a fair deal! Similar in our house!

But I still want to see the piccies!!
:lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:06 pm

We used to stay at Allyn River a fair bit. I think it was state forest then and since has been taken over by National Parks. They put a stop to the secluded camping in the bush and last time we went you were only allowed to stay in the main set up camp areas. Drop toilets and I think there is water. There are some lovely pebbly beaches by cool waterfalls(beware the march flies!).
We used to love going here but went off it went they made us camp in the set up camp grounds we liked the camping in the bush feel. Ahh well it was good while it lasted.
The only other thing I have to say is if it is raining in Sydney or central coast don't go to Allyn River 'cos it will be pouring there. The river becomes a torrent and would be better suited to white water rafting. :(
mo
Boy Scout

Return to NSW