what type of bed/mattress?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

what type of bed/mattress?

Postby dualcab96 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Got back from camping over the Queen B'day weekend and found out the hard way that both my air beds are no longer holding air :( and according to the wife its all my fault!

I Am looking at getting another 2 and was thinking of the queen size as the 3 kids could sleep in one and the mrs and me in the other.

Anyone got some feedback on those air mattresses that sit on top of the folding frame holding it off the floor? its either those or the self inflatable ones I am looking at at the moment.

Are all brands the same?
dualcab96

Postby Kramer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 pm

We had one of those ones on a bed frame, not too bad but the whole lot is bulky and heavy, don't sit on one edge when no-one else is on it otherwise it will tip up and I thought in the end it wasn't worth packing. I am still looking for a half decent air mattress that dosen't seem to lose air every third trip camping. I will buy a quite an expensive one in the next few weeks and see how it goes compared to the $30 or so ones we have been buying.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 pm

We have 2 of the OzTrail type. They are noisy when you move unless you wrap the bladder in a sheet or something. We also found out they are not good in the cold as you seem to lose warmth through the matress. We're thinking of changing to self inflating. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dualcab96 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:02 am

Thanks for the feedback, I might hol doff and keep looking at the options available. A friend has the self inflating mattress and the biggest drawback is that is is huge when rolled up and takes up the length of his ute.

Blue bravo do the mattresses come off the frames, I thought they where one piece?

Anyone tried those double layered air mattresses, kinda like two on top of each other?
dualcab96

Camping matress

Postby Hissy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:01 am

A number of years ago we invested in two self inflating matresses as we had a sleep over at a friends and had a great night sleep on theirs.

They cost over a hundred dollars each, but well worth it.
This appears to be the current version of the mats we purchase.

http://www.campingworld.com.au/products ... /index.htm

Off-road 4WD Mats
Serious comfort with soft velour. Multiple valves provide ease of inflation and deflation. Storage is enhanced by twin compression straps plus a carry bag. Model Dimensions (cm) Valves
Click Image to enlarge
Single 195 x 80 x 10 2
Double 195 x 127 x 10 4
Queen 195 x150 x 10 4

The plug on ours broke years ago but really has made no effect.
They do take up a bit of room when rolled up.

Good luck, a good nights sleep is well worth the money invested.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:03 pm

The bladders come out of the liner so that the beds fold up.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby JM1375 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:34 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:We have 2 of the OzTrail type. They are noisy when you move unless you wrap the bladder in a sheet or something. We also found out they are not good in the cold as you seem to lose warmth through the matress. We're thinking of changing to self inflating. :)

We have one of these too.... I like it and find it quite comfy, but it was very cold to sleep on a couple of weeks back! We ended up getting a thin piece of foam to lay over the top of the air mattress which seems to have stopped the cold from coming up through the air mattress. As the air mattress removes from the frame, I am thinking of replacing it with a Coleman Twin Chamber - there's still too much "roll together" and I can't see DH losing 40 kilos any time soon!!! :shock:
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:07 pm

anyone tried those instant bed things that are like a blow up mattress on fold up legs ? pros and cons and brands welcome
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby kazzakanary » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:53 am

I like the self inflating ones - they take a bit more effort to roll up but lovely to sleep on.
My hubby was to blame the night our air bed kept losing air too - I ended up sleeping in the car - not good memories!!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby SMP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 pm

Hissy, which of the mats on the site have you got? If it's the 4WD mats, how big do they fold/roll up. At this stage I get all (3) of our lilos in a 500x400x300 box. BUT i like evryone else here doesn't seem to get more than a few trips out of them and I like to sleep well when camping. I wonder if bying a betterquality airbed is the answer. Scott
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Return to General Chit-Chat