QLD - The Settlement Campground, Springbrook NP

QLD - The Settlement Campground, Springbrook NP

Postby Troyk » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:24 pm

On the weekend we went camping to the new campground at Springbrook National Park, called The Settlement Campground. We were booked in for three nights but called it quits after 2 nights as the wind on the first night took it out of the family.

GPS 28°11'37.11"S, 153°16'20.34"E

Further Information can be found at http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_for ... formation/

Overall we found the new ground quite good, except for one issue which I will start with

While it says that Sites 1 to 4 cater for caravans and camper trailers, I am not sure what they had in mind with regards to camper trailers. All the sites consist of grassed area and a parking bay. Sites 1 to 4 have a 8m long parking bay to accommodate caravan/CT and vehicle.

We did go for a drive beforehand to check it out, and we thought it shouldn’t be a problem if we put a blanket and a tar under the soft floor to protect it from the gravel surface. Worked ok.

The issue was that the parking bay sloped both ways, so it was hard to get the trailer level (unfortunately only in one direction) and keep the tent straight. We never tried this before so we are now a bit wiser. More use to open campgrounds where you can move the CT around to get it level.

Summary of the campground
There are 11 sites, can be booked individually on-line.
Amenities: 3 unisex toilets (1 handicapped), not compost but a airplane style toilet with a foot pump for flushing, cooking shed and picnic tables, water
Good Mobile reception (if you want it)

Toilets

Kitchen

Nearby there a number of café/ teahouses, a convenience store and a fudge store (excellent fudge).

For bushwalking there a number of walks ranging easy to long high level of fitness required walks. There is an easy walk of 660m to Purlingbrook Falls from the campground. Other highlights include Canyon Lookout (you can park next to it) and the Best of All Lookout.

Purlingbrook Falls

Autumn Bloom

Mushrooms
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby double_d » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:21 pm

looks like a very nice place was there much to do for the kids
is there room for them to ride bikes or anything

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby katthing » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:10 am

looks great

How far from Brisbane??? sorry I don't know Brissy too well
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm

double_d wrote:looks like a very nice place was there much to do for the kids
is there room for them to ride bikes or anything

daniel d

Most of the kids in the park rode up and down the internal road, which considering the loose gravel, didn't result in any injuries. Across the road there is a day use area (which seems to not get any use), which has a large open space (and I think there was a cricket pitch).

Some of bushwalks are fairly short so they were easy going for the 5+3 yo. Purlingbrook falls is only 600m walk from the campsite.

katthing wrote:looks great

How far from Brisbane??? sorry I don't know Brissy too well

From my place in the Redlands it was 110km, so if you are on the suthside it would be less, and if you are coming from the northside via the gateway bridge, roughly 110km from the bridge. To get there you follow the M1 to the gold coast and go through Gaven, Nerang and get off at Mudgeeraba, and then its about 30km to Springbrook. We got to Mudgeeraba in about one hour from home. The road up is a bit winding, and has three locations where there are small one way sections.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Queensland