We're Off!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

We're Off!

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:19 pm

Well ... I've been around here for a while and so thought I'd wait for my 1000th post to let you know what we're up to.

On the 29th June we are travelling from Perth to Hervey Bay via:

Norseman,
Eucla,
Ceduna,
whyalla,
Broken Hill,
Bourke and
St. George.

Total distance is just over 4500k's.

The Engel and ice box are packed but still waiting for SWMBO to get the food in and then we can get out asap after the packers have left.

The CT is 'nearly' packed and we checked the bearings yesterday so hopefully she should be ok for the trip.

Unfortunately we wont be able to see a lot of the sights as we need to get to QLD before the school term starts but we should be able to see enough to call it a 'trip'.

The Nullarbor is the only Aussie road that I've yet to travel on (circular route wise) and I've never been to Broken Hill or Bourke so we'll be spending extra time there.

So, for now, it's 'toodles' and hopefully I'll have some generic pics to post up and bore you all once I'm back on line.

Cheers!

::) ::) ::)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:32 pm

Cheapest and best fuel on the nullarbor is eucla and Mundrabilla
Best toilets are Mundrabilla ;)

Caiguna is possibly the worst and most expencive fuel

Have a safe and fun trip good luck with the move and We'll speak to you when you get back online

have to compare notes on the eyre hwy when you get back online
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Oh and careful with your estimates as to how far you will get travelling Norseman to Eucla. The reason I say this is because there is a about 150k of roadworks that slows you down to an average of 70Ks (some spots 40 some spots 80) shouldnt really affect your timing too much but may add an hour or so to your estimate.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Komodo wrote:Cheapest and best fuel on the nullarbor is eucla and Mundrabilla
Best toilets are Mundrabilla ;)

Caiguna is possibly the worst and most expencive fuel

Have a safe and fun trip good luck with the move and We'll speak to you when you get back online

have to compare notes on the eyre hwy when you get back online

Fortnately both cars can travel 700k's plus ... so we'll fill at Norseman then eucla .. price at both is $1.45'ish.

Might check out the toilets at Mundrabilla ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:54 pm

Komodo wrote:Oh and careful with your estimates as to how far you will get travelling Norseman to Eucla. The reason I say this is because there is a about 150k of roadworks that slows you down to an average of 70Ks (some spots 40 some spots 80) shouldnt really affect your timing too much but may add an hour or so to your estimate.

Damn! We're expecting 8 hrs from Norseman to Eucla ... may have to rethink and upped it to 9hrs. :x

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Got UHFs?

We had ours on channel 40 the whole time - really helps with warnings about where the fuzz are so you can just check to make sure you havent crept up above the limit (though we only came across 2 patrol cars on the way over and none on the way back). I've only got hand helds but that was enough range to keep us informed - could easily do the trip without them but it did help

Also good for warnings about wildlife on the road. In particularly Camels between Norseman and Caiguna

We had to hit the anchors for about 15 camels that crossed over infront of the road train in front of us then a bit further up we saw two legs up either side of the road.

About 50 K's past Belladonia (on the east side) we stopped for a pair of ladies who had broken down in a winabago. When we came back (we took off to try get some help - to no avail...) a couple of bushies had stopped (and removed about 1.5 litres of muddy water from the fuel system - the filled up at $1.79L @ Caiguna - need I say more). The Bushies were telling us that they come up a "back way" from Esperance then travel back to Norseman and collect the camels the trucks clean up and skin them. They had just had a call through on the radio that a truck had cleaned up 15 in one go!

On the way over we say no wild life on the way back we say the camels some emus a roo or two and a couple of wedge tails :D (no pics of the wedge tails though :()
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby double_d » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:28 pm

sounds like it will be an awsome trip
hervey bay is a nice place
we have been going there for the last two years in may
for a big pool comp may day weekend
have had a little look around each time
nice quiet place to live by the looks
i dont fish but it looks to be a great fishing town off the jetty

have fun

daniel d
double_d
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 pm

We do have a CB in the Paj and thanks fro the warning about the camels Komodo ... not soemthing I would have thought about! Although we are not going to travel at night simply due to the wildlife in that area.

Thnaks for tyour wishes Double D ... I do like to beach fish so I am hoping we are in for a bit of a treat.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:45 pm

Wow have a great time - I really envy you. I would love to do the whole Nullabor. Only saw a 100 clicks of it.
You may already know that the roadhouse at Yalata is closed no days. So the next fuel stop will be Ceduna. There are only two pubs in Ceduna and the close early.

Good luck and safe travelling!

:+ :?# :+ :?#
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Remember no fruit into South Australia. There are inspectors at Ceduna. Have agreat trip. I was goign to suggest you call into Head of Bight to see the whales but it's probably a little superfluous given your move to hervey bay :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SOE digital » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:54 pm

Toilets? Bah, what ever happened to using entrenching tools? :lol:

Have a good trip mate. Sounds like a lot of fun.
SOE digital
Boy Scout

Trip

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:02 am

Wow so you’re finally hitting the road and heading north. Bit cool over here at the moment. But I'm sure you find the trip an adventure and Qld. welcoming. Have good and safe trip Scolers, all the best. :beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:11 am

LOL @ the inspectors @ ceduna. They are more interested in what type of fuel you are running than what you've got on board.

Its going the other way that they are a little bit more concerend with what you have on board.

Still be honest if you do have anything get rid of it. It helps every one at the end of the day
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Many thanks for everyone's wishes!

There are only two pubs in Ceduna and the close early.

THAT is important information! Due to time zone changes we may not make it into Ceduna until 5-6pm. Better be prepared!

Hpe to be back online within 2 weeks.

Cheers ...

Scol. ... and family! :?#
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:54 pm

safe trip scolers queensland awaits. i like how you have changed your location already :+
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat