Fridge / Ice boxes reuseable ice!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Fridge / Ice boxes reuseable ice!

Postby Komodo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:52 pm

http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp
Guys,

I saw this advertised on the front of the Melbourne Trading Post this week.

The ICE Boxes look fairly good and high quality however my main reason for this thread was to give a plug to the actual Ice pack system these guys manufacture.

AFAIK these guys are Australian manufacturers which is good to see an Australian company still manufacturing in Australia and in such large quantities and selling to such a broad market!

We actually brought some of these years ago and ours are still going strong We have bought some new ones since but the originals are still going strong!

I didnt realise they were an Australian product so ive never given them a wrap before. But these work a treat in keeping your food dry when using an esky.

We found that using 5 sheets total aroun the outside then we cut one sheet into individual squares and scattered them throughout the esky.

I checked out there website and something I havent tried but now that they've mentioned it makes sence is to use the sheets in your 12V fridges! obviously then your compressor motor is being opperated less so efficiency is up and battery drain is down! all bonuses IMO and at the loss of very little space in the fridge. They suggest turning the fridge off over night - I suppose you could do that - but I think thats a little extreem. The other bonus that the mention is (like in my case where I have the 80ltr Waeco) that you can leave the fridge at the site and just take your little "day" esky out with you for day trips and when you get back chuck the packs back in the fridge and they are ready to go the next day!

Well thats my free plug for an Aussie Company for today!

(By the way mods I'm in no way affiliated with this company nor any camping / outdoor equipment manufacturer / distributor (I'm a structural steel fabricator))
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jeddalegs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:27 pm

im looking at buying one of these ice boxes off ebay.... it comes with some of these dry ice packs for free... pardon my ignorance but how do they work? do u just freeze them? cause their website talks about rehydrating them?...
jeddalegs
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:59 pm

they are flat when you buy them.
so you put them in a tub of water and they swell then you freeze them
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Space

Postby Hissy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 am

How thick are these when they are frozen?

They look good but my concern is in a 40 ltr fridge they may take up to much space.

How long do they stay frozen?

I have used gel ones before but they do not stay frozen longer then 12 - 24 hours then they are of no use.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:24 am

they puff up about - well similar size to the gel ones.

How long they stay frozen depends on factors such as ambient temp (obviously in a fridge that will be quite low). how much techniice you have in there etc.

But I reacon you should get 3 days out of them. I know we used to get 3 days witht hem just in an esky. probably could have gone more but we didnt used to go away that much back then. Also I've only used the old ones these new foil backed ones are supposed to be better again!
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby el_gato » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm

I've bought 4 of those technie ice eskies and couldnt be happier (70L, 60, 40 & 18L). They cost one third the price of an equivalent icebox with much the same specs as the ones that cost hundreds. Remains to be seen whether they'll stand the rough and tumble of being in the back of a ute or trailer over rough ground. So far so good.
They all came with technie ice sheets. We've found they last for 3 days ok using a quality esky. They're great for going on day trips to buy bulk meat ect. Dont take up as much room as bulk ice and there's no water slopping around in the bottom. We plan to cut them into the small size and use them in the boys lunch box over summer.
One thing I got told about them. If you use them with water ice and let them thaw and leave them in the bottom of the ice box they can get a bit smelly? Havent had this happen as yet so cant confirm. If it's true I can see myself not using them. Dont want anything smelly in my nice new eskies.
el_gato

Return to Gear Guide