Where Is Everyone

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:35 pm

Nowadays it's getting a little like dementia before adventure...gotta stop working so hard.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:36 pm

Lake Dey in South Australia. :lol:
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 pm

Oh yeah and if I was to drive from here it is 2149 km :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:47 pm

No! Try again.... 8)
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:55 pm

Hmmmmmmm that takes me through Lake Dey Road to Lake Dey. Either that or I cant use a GPS. :***

Am I close ??????
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:09 pm

Your right it is Lake Dey Dey road but that is not the place name...If you have a hard copy of a map of the area I seriously doubt it will be on there either. Some do some don't. One hint for you it's called something Valley
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:14 pm

Oak Valley

There is still some concern about nuclear contamination in that area.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Bingo!
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Troyk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:18 pm

Derek wrote:Troy

What sort of video have you got. I am looking at making a DVD of camp cooking and cannot decide on the right equipment. I also need a cameraman/woman to assist. :grin:

Derek,

I just have the run of the mill Sony Handycam, about 4 years old. Its digital video using the miniDV tapes. Bought it to film the kids growing up, holidaying, camping as well as the mundane stuff. It has worked well, the only negative is motor noise from tape which leaves a slight hum, and can be a real problem when there is little background noise. The newer model now use DVD and hard drives, so don’t know if motor noise is still a problem. On the camera I would be looking for an accessory shoe, mic socket (I use an external mic to reduce the motor noise), AV in/out, has a good feel when using it, a good optical zoom (x10).

The key to putting together a reasonably good video is the editing. A mundane long stretch of video of the kids just walking around can be sped up to a Benny Hill style piece which can be quite entertaining, though using different music!

I use a program called Pinnacle Studio (got it for about $100 when the next version came out) and I have to say is quite a simple program to use. Some programs such as Adobe Premiere requires a bit more skill. You import your video and it appears as clips on your screen. Just drag and drop the video onto the timeline in what order you want. You can trim the video to get rid of all the bad bits, add effects such as old film look etc. You then do the same for titles (adding your word), transitions (the fade in and out), music etc. DVD menus are fairly straight forward as well. Then go to the next screen and select the video format you want to produce (ie DVD or a windows media file for webpage, email etc).

The only drawback with editing it can at times be tedious and time consuming. Its surprising what you can create though. If you don’t have video you can also use the program to create a montage of stills, again you can add music titles etc. If you have done the big trip and have lots of photos, what better way than to watch them on your dvd player.

On your computer you will need at least 1GB RAM, 2GB preferable and at least Windows XP or later (earlier versions you cannot create files greater than 2GB) and a minimum 40GB hard drive space. A 1hr video tape is equivalent to 13GB and you will another 10 to 20GB to produce your work. I just bought a 300GB external drive (connects vis USB) at Officeworks for $179 so they are getting pretty cheaper.

Your best cameraman/woman is a reasonably good tripod Most camcorders these days come with a remote and the viewing screen can be twisted to face front (it flips the image so its not upside down). The remote will start/stop, zoom etc. Tripods will not backchat, are reliable, patient, never late and will not drink all your beer.;) The tripod will give you the flexibility of doing filming at anytime. Though people might look at you funny if you are talking to yourself.:)

If you are going to sell your DVD you might want to check the legal side of things. For example Qld National Parks require permits and charge fees for commercial filming in National Parks, and there is the permission to record someone’s image etc.

The DVD cases are about 25 for $10, I use a thin photgraphic paper (100 sheets for $15) and I bought a printer that will print direct to DVD disc (you can buy printable ones). The stick on DVD labels can interfere sometimes reading the disc.

I am pretty much an amateur at this but happy to help out with ideas suggestions, critiqing etc.

Happy filming!
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Hissy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 am

Derek,

What version of Pinnicale are you using? I just up dated to version 10.

I have also just got a pci card with break out box from a good friend so i can down load my old old Hi-8 movies onto DVD.

Well its a big project which can only start with the first clip. I have over 30 tapes at 90 mins each to download.

I recently was caught up in the floods in Newcastle and put together a little DVD of video with slides from the experience. Something to look back on.

Happy editing.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:38 am

Derek wrote:Troy

What sort of video have you got. I am looking at making a DVD of camp cooking and cannot decide on the right equipment. I also need a cameraman/woman to assist. :grin:

Derek you couldn't get any help from the guys on The 4x4 show at all, eg grabbing the camera man for a day and getting it on some high quality tape, I can edit it for you if you like I have just started getting into video editing and bought myself a nice computer, 4 gigs RAM, 400 gig HD, Dual screens and a heap of things I don't even know about but it is fast :grin:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Troyk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Kramer, thats a pretty good setup for video editing, especially having the dual screens.

Kramer/Derek, if you are going to be in the SEQ area (I am pretty much stuck at home base at the moment with work, school fetes etc) but happy to catch to show what I know. I have a notebook so I am pretty mobile. Just pick a good spot. I am trying to get some k's up on the new 4wd before we go out west in Sept so a bit of travel wont be a problem.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Kramer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:15 pm

I am stuck at home too, saving for the trip to the Birdsville races in August, the time has flown by this year and haven't got too much cash saved up right now for the trip :( I have estimated about $1k in fuel for this 3 week trip :shock:
Kramer

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Still wondering where to go with it.

When we filmed The 4X4 Show we used two cameras. The main one was an expensive professional job but for all the closeups used a Panasonic NV-GS500 3CCD Digital Video Camera. These use a miniDV tape as well. The 3CCD system is the same as a professional camera. Retail is currently around $2000 but occasionally eBay has them for $1000 to $1200

This is a quote from Panasonic
The cameras CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) plays a critical role in picture quality. Thats why Panasonic chose a 3CCD camera system - the type used in professional video cameras. Panasonics 3CCD system reduces noise by 30%*, gains horizontal resolution in colors by 50%* and dynamic range to express luminous gradation by 30%* to render greater beauty in color, detail, and gradation.

They have a good quality Lieca Lense system as well
Leica lense is renowned by photographers world-wide as a maker of superb cameras and lenses. Now this legendary optical technology fuses with Panasonics advanced digital technology in the Leica Dicomar Lense. GS500's brilliant new lense feature 13 lense elements in 9 groups and uses low-dispersion optical glass to reduce chromatic aberration to about 1/3 the level of conventional lenses. A special multi-coating process is applied to 14 lense surfaces, minimizing harmful reflection to deliver crisp, clear images free of flare and ghosting. *Leica is a registered trademark of Leica Microsystems IR GmbH, and Dicomar is a registered trademark of Leica Camera AG.

Still looking though.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Kramer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:23 pm

They look the goods Derek, you can really tell the difference between the cheap video cameras and the expensive ones. I will have to invest in a better camera soon as my little panasonic cheapy ($700) isn't cutting the mustard at the moment I can only get 18 - 20 mins of best quality footage on a mini DVD :(
Kramer

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat