Danger and Camping... Help me!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Danger and Camping... Help me!

Postby IanAndre » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:08 am

Hi! I'm Andrea from Italy and I wish to visit Australia because from my knowledge it is wonderful! But after reading a lot of web pages, I'm afraid about many things of Australia. :( Snakes, crocodiles, mosquitos. I love the nature and I love to stay in tent into camping. But help me! Is it dangerous the camping? And snake, crocodiles, mosquitos can be a danger? :?
Thanks!

Andrea Ian
IanAndre

Postby Troyk » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:44 am

Andrea, Most of the stories you hear / read are just myth really. Most of Australia is quite safe to camp. My wife and I take our 2 small kids without a problem or worry.

Yes it is true that the 10 deadliest snakes in the world live in Australia, but try finding one. They are actually more scared of you than you think. Using a bit of common sense like watching where you walk, not moving logs etc and you will be right.

Its only the saltwater crocodiles that are a problem and they are only found along the northern coast of australia. Again common sense follow the signs and you will be ok. It only seems that they like german and amercian tourists anyhow. If you want to see one there are plenty of tour operators aound who will get you up close, but in the safety and comfort of a boat.

The mosquitos, well they are annoying, but I wouldn't say dangerous!

The best ting you can bring camping in Australia is common sense. Most of the camping locatiosn are well developed and have most of the facilities (toilets etc) Hey we Aussies like our comforst too.

What parts of Australia were you planning to visit?
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

RE

Postby IanAndre » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Troyk!
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, you help me a lot!

"What parts of Australia were you planning to visit?"

I wish to visit Australia with Austrail Flexi Pass and take The Ghan, Indian Pacific. I'm going to stay to PERTH and visit Pinnacles Desert, ALCE SPRING for Uluru, King's canyon and Olgas, KANGAROO ISLAND, MELBOURNE for The twelve apostles and Port Campbel, SYDNEY and ORPHEUS ISLAND or another island.
I like to camp in tent but, as I wrote before, I'm afraid that a snake enter into. Tent is secure for camping? Or is more safety the camper?
I like tent because it is cheap and in tent there is a special contact with nature.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry, my english is not good and I don't understand this quotation "Hey we Aussies like our comforst too". Could you repeat?

Andrea
IanAndre

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:51 pm

Camping in Australia is very safe. Most towns have a Caravan/Camping area and are very safe. Remote area camping is slightly more risky because you can be a long way from the nearest help. But remember that there are 20 million Australians and we do not sit in our houses trembling in fear. You will recieve a lot of help, advise and encouragement if you show interest in the area. Come and enjoy but be prepared to travel very long distances. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

RE

Postby IanAndre » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks Blue Bravo!
Do you think that in the Ayers Rock is possible to camp?
Thanks!
:armsup
Andrea
IanAndre

Ayers Rock

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:38 am

I would not recommend camping at Ayres; it is very - very hot. There are some reasonable hotels there but having seen and climbed the rock remember it is kind of interesting but only a rock and it is in the middle of the desert (like 50 degrees plus).

For me I'm a coastal person myself, I would think the biggest danger in Australia for you is the extreme temperatures. Hence it is hard to go wrong around the Coast line (south east or west that is). Lots of great places NSW, Qld., Victoria and maybe WA (a bit more remote though).

:grin:
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:53 pm

Thats a big trip! how long you planning on being over here for?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SOE digital » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Righto, well yeah camping in Australia is very safe, when the campers use some basic common sense.

I always check my boots before putting them on. You don't have to be too pedantic about it, but it's stopped me from getting bitten a few times.

Be mindful of where you walk. Australia is loaded with snakes...but not to the point that they're all over the place. Wear proper shoes/boats and just keep an eye out and watch where you put your foot and you'll be fine. Snakes are generally not aggressive unless you piss them off.

Don't swim in a waterhole unless you know it doesn’t have crocs in it...or you at least are pretty sure it doesn’t. Crocs strike from the water and VERY rarely chase you on land. In fact, I don't know of any cases where people have been actually chased.

Mossies are not a problem. Just use mossie repellent.

Australia can get VERY hot. A lot hotter than Italy, that's for sure.
50+ degree days are not exactly uncommon in some parts of desert Australia. So don't go walking without having water at hand and certainly don't leave your car if you break down in the desert; unless you are 100% sure that it's the best thing to do.

Do be mindful of some of our marine life that is dangerous. Sharks love Australian coasts...but that doesn’t mean you have to worry when you go for a swim. If you plan on doing a spot of fishing it's a good idea to read up on what fish are dangerous here and which ones are not. Cobbler and Flathead for example are good eating, very common but have very painful spines hidden around their gills.

But at the end of the day, it's simple. Use common sense. Think twice before doing certain things but most of all…relax. Stressing about what could happen in Australia is much more likely to do harm than Australia itself.

Myself, like others here I assume, I have spent many weeks and months living out of a swag, exposed to the elements in many different parts of Australia, including the coasts and inner deserts. I came out unharmed. There's no reason why anyone else can't.
SOE digital
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin really marketed us to the world! :grin:

I remember before the Olympics when Australian Tourism were getting enquiries from overseas, like do we have ATM's and can they get a list of them, are the roads bitumen?. or can they hire a car because they were thinking of doing a day trip from Sydney to Melbourne.

I wonder where we are going wrong? :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Harvest Fruit

Postby IanAndre » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:14 am

Hi! Thanks at all for your suggestion and knoledge about camping.
I've the last question: during my travel in Australia I wish to work occasionally in the Harvest Fruit. It's difficult to look for this job? And what is the best area to search it? And it needs something for it?
Thanks a lot!
Andrea
IanAndre

Postby Komodo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:26 am

Pfft its easy to get a job picking fruit. Mostly the eastern states will be where you will find that type of work though QLD NSW Vic and Tas. Also depends on the season and how good the season has been in relation to the size of the harvest.

Also the wine regions are good for getting those type of jobs
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Try this we site.

http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/

Others might know of other sites.

Troyk

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:50 pm

There's heaps around here in the Riverina (South West NSW), Orange picking (a right varmints of a job and pays crap too), wineries, nuts, cherry, and a few more I've seen but cant recall. I'd say save up as much money as you can, and use fruit picking as a last resort :lol:

And its not as easy to get as you might think. Most adds that I've seen, specify 'experienced' pickers only :? Which is stupid cause there's really not much to it, unless you count speed, but then your not getting paid by the hour so what does the employer care. Having said that, there's often a shortage of workers so pester a few even if your not experienced, worst that can happen is they'll say no.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Hey Ianandre - there is a very large back packers community in Australia. If you go to any of the hostels and back packer lodges you will pick up heaps of information and guides re the areas and the type of work available. If you are in the right spot in the right season work will be available for you as long as you are prepared to work.
It is possible to keep moving along a picking trail moving from area to area. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

What is the better season?

Postby IanAndre » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:37 am

Thanks at all!
And what is the better season for work?
And what is the most cheap season to travel?
So I decide when I come in Australia... :grin:

And for work, what is the payment?
And is there danger about snake? :?

Andrea Ian

I
IanAndre

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat