FREE product for worthy causes

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Free Products

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:25 pm

I think I missed something with this whole thread Chippy. The last thing I want to do is insult anyone offering sponsorship opportunities. From what I see Ozzy through in a backhanded comment about getting some free products, (not out of line I thought) I second the motion and offered them a spot on the website for some free goods so we could run a competition it seemed to me to be a fair if not inviting offer. This seemed to draw a comment about what critics we were. So either Jackel misread something or the fellow is awfully sensitive. Genuine or not I don’t think anyone was out to insult him so I don’t know what the issue was there. :shock:
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Chippy76 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Yeah I think he may have misread the request for a competition of sorts. To be honest it is easy to misinterpret advise in forums occasionally. (god knows ive been guilty of this at times - lol )
I think he just got dishearted that it was a genuine offer , and felt like he was being attacked for trying to gain a bit of a free plug (who doesnt want one) Any way, enuf of the high school moaning ... It wasnt a bad offer and one our scout group is appreciative of ....
Chippy76
Captain Camping

Commercail Offers

Postby Activity_Dept » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:16 pm

We have tried long and hard to balance commercial and users interests on the site, but it’s not easy. Companies generally can't see the value and individuals are often skeptical of their intentions. Both have interests that I believe could be well served on the site but I think a forum is not going to be the place as users are often to defensive about loosing their community (forum) to commercial interests. We do however have a number of programs on the site for say outdoor suppliers etc., like passing on discounts to members, gear guides, editorial, competitions and just plain old advertising. Simple participation in any of these covers the running costs of the forum; seen as a commercial free service to the user/groups at no cost to them.

But to date (four years) we have convinced only one company to participate ‘Kea Campers’. I think they feel we are disrupting their traditional advertising and distribution channels. Maybe their right so we slowly modify our business model with the hope of one day attracting commercial participation in the services we have set-up for them which will in turn will develop the services we want to offer consumers. I think it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation but the upside is users are getting more active and in time that in itself will attract commercial interests. Hopefully they will come to the site first to see how they can participate as apposed to risking a backlash in the forum (which is likely) I mean what’s a forum without a lot of different and often vocal opinions.

I really just wish companies like Li-Lo would ask (contact link on camping site), “how do we gain some exposure through product giveaways”. Believe me I could work with that; a newsletter out to nearly 9,000 Australian campers… this is what I tried to say in my email but I guess it came across as something else. Anyway this is hopefully now on public record for the next company thinking of this type of offer. Sorry for the long winded post but this point of commercial vrs user interests is a hard one for us, something we need to get right one day if this site is ever going to be of any real use to anyone.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby stevo. » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:42 pm

A lot of people have a lot of experience with public forums, and we're all used to seeing some crazy ideas being thrown around. I think as experienced forum users we feel we have to test the crazy ideas, and i reckon in most cases the crazy ideas never go anywhere, and it'd be rare that we see something genuine? I get emails everyday offering me secret tips on which shares i should buy, and a heap of africans want to transfer lots of money to my account all the time, although i haven't actually tested that experience out.

Good on alanl for offerring such a deal anyway.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Previous

Return to Groups & Activities