poll of lantern

List your stuff for sale or wanted here. Outdoor furniture, home, gardening, clothing, anything really except motor vehicles or real estate as that is catered for below. Post or sell offer here for free. (Add you suburb, buy or sell and item to heading we will organise letter).

which lantern you prefer

classic fuel lantern
35%
modern lantern using battery
40%
others
25%

Total votes : 20

poll of lantern

Postby magic9jj » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:40 pm

when you are on a camping. what kind of lantern do you prefer?[/b]
hope is good
magic9jj

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:58 pm

I like the Gas lanterns, the gas lasts for ages and they're reall bright. Would like to have a kero/fuel one but their a bit pricey for something I've already got and don't really need another.
I've also got a cheap electric one and its crap :roll:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:35 am

I'm with Ozz re. gas but we also have a battery style lantern ... the one's that look like a kero lantern ... it has a remote switch and is VERY handy for those 'wee' walks in the middle of the night. Dodge them pesky dropbears!

:shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

thanx

Postby magic9jj » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:36 pm

thanx for your opinion~~ :D
hope is good
magic9jj

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Always a pleasure to share information.

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Onedodger » Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 pm

:lol: We use a Versa light. It is a flouro that is equal to a 75 watt bulb and runs off the battery using 1amp per hour.
Have had it since 1995 and it still goes great even with the rough treatment we have given it.
Boy do I love this second childhood.
Regards Dodg.
Onedodger
Boy Scout

Postby Barby-Q » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:21 am

I like the quietness or battery power not that hisss of gas lanterns
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby Kramer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:29 am

Barby-Q wrote:I like the quietness or battery power not that hisss of gas lanterns

I disagree the hiss adds to the serenity of camping and also keeps other camping noises out!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Jock » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:42 pm

I like them both. The noise a gas lantern makes is great. It reminds me being a kid and going camping

but for the ease of use the versalight/piranha etcetc is just fantastic. One inside the camper trailer and one outside. Get into bed and a quick flick of the switch and its out. And if you forget something it is real easy to turn back on.

The gas though you have to risk burning your hands to relight it and then there are the mantles every trip.

Long camp in one spot is the only time my gas latern comes out now. the rest of the time I use the flouro lights. Expensive but worth it.
Trouble maker ;-)
Jock
Boy Scout

Postby randomman » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:05 am

I have a bunch of rare and exotic torches and some of them can set paper on fire they are that bright (I can actually light the campfire with one of them) so I'm always hankering and fumbling with all the different ones until my wife gets annoyed and puts on the gas lantern
randomman

Postby Komodo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Now thats some dredging!

I use gas purely because I always have they are cheap and reliable. The hiss can get annoying but not too bad.

Been contemplating one of those battery ones with a remote that Scol has purely for those "wee walks" as he put it. The only thing putting me off it is i can see us loosing the remote somewhere in the shed between packing stuff away and getting stuff out to go away.

Also been contemplating some LED lights in the fluro tube type design Running them off the 200Ah of battery power I've got for the fridge should be good.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Komodo wrote:Now thats some dredging!

That's nothing ... one guy brought an old post of mine up from late last year just to flame me ... :armsup ... I think it was last week that someone did the same thing to Ozzi for a message that was posted about 6 months ago ... at least these posts have been on tpic and aren't flaming the initial poster ... beggers belief really ... :--?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Since lanterns are back on-topic....

I got me a mesh ::() cover, no more broken glass ones :armsup And re: the mantle's breaking, my 1st one lasted nearly a year till it broke :armsup . Strangely enough it broke at the same time as the glass cover broke so I think something in the camping chest got really kranky over the bumps :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:19 am

I've always be skeptical of those mesh 'lenses'... does it work well? doesnt the wind play havoc with it?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:52 am

Komodo wrote:I've always be skeptical of those mesh 'lenses'... does it work well? doesnt the wind play havoc with it?

We got the mesh one years ago after the glass one broke. The light it throws isnt as diffuse but it's just as good. As for wind ... it's been pretty cyclonic when we've had it going but we are in a CT so that could make a difference.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Buy & Sell