4WDing, a HZJ with a difference

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

4WDing, a HZJ with a difference

Postby Bearded shark » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:02 am

Hi all. Just thought I'd post some pics of the "tax deduction", as it's fondly known, articulating at half of it's full potential. I could release the pins on the drop shackles but I need wheel spacers 1st to stop tyre rub on chassis.

HZJ75 1994 4.2Ldsl, twin 90L tanks, 2" body & 1" susp lift, 3way drop shackles rear, extended shackles front, nolothane t-out, Rancho RS9000 adj shocks on custom mounts, 33" bridgestone MT's, LSD rear, custom roll bar (unfinished), long range fm, 6db gain TX3200, rear spottie with switch power to trailer reverse spottie, 2x 8" spots on ARB bullbar, 10,000lb recovery hooks, snorkel, K&N filter, 2&1/2" exh, black duck canvas seat covers, leaf springs in process of modification, future ARB front locker. Then I'll start on our GU patrol.

Some guy who runs eureka 4x4 training (perth) tried 2 pull me out of this & nearly rolled me on my side. I ended up tellin him to leave it, & I got myself out.....long story, how I did it.

This was not a strategically positioned camera angle. Camera is level

I tried to sraddle it but front left slipped in.
Where there is a will, there is a way. :***
A what, a hotel? Waht kind of camper is that?
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Need to replace them steps with some sliders! looks like fun though!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bearded shark » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:07 am

Hell yes. 1 day when I get some spare time, I'll weld some up & fit em. The standard steps are pretty weak.

It was fun. Scary too. Bein on my own & all. I had full phone range all the way, but I lost it shortly b4 it happened. So I tried to get myself out, but made it worse. I knew it was a popular 4x4 track on a sat, so I sat waitin 4 a passer by.......no one. I put out a call over the 2 way ch40....nothing, so knowin a few clubs use ch15, I tried that, & got a reply. Some guy spent 20mins findin me. When he got there, we tried pullin me out, in a way that would bring front left side up, but he stripped a synchro or somethin in his tranfer (80ser cruza dsl). Thats when the 4x4 training guy showed up. In the end I packed rocks in front of the front left wheel, & SLOWLY edged her up & stradled the rest. I,ve had a lot of experience & am a confident 4x4 driver, but I still think it's wise to have a recovery vehicle if poss 8)
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:47 pm

We've all been caught up at one stage or another.

No winch?

Im still deciding if I go hydraulic or electric.
And if i go electric do i go warn or just one of the chinese ones :(

I've gotta make up some sliders for the 'trol soon - though I might just get a set of cheezy bars instead
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bearded shark » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Do NOT!!! get a cheap chinese 1. Go Warn, definitely. I know u will seldom use it, but lets face it, if u require the use of yor winch, it's most likely coz it's yor only chance at recovery. It's times like that you'll b glad u bought something u can rely on. :grin: And if u do get electric, make sure u protect it completely from the weather. Rusty/corroded electrics is No.1 cause of winch failure, even more than snappped cables. I'd ask some1 in the know about wiring up a 6 solenoid setup too instead of the std 4, less electrical load etc.

If u r good with a welder, y not make yor own sliders. Just use the measurements of your std steps to work out bracketry etc, the rest is easy. 2 coats of black engine enamel, 2 coates of clear, & u r done. I haven't priced a set to c if it's worth it 4 u but I have access to free steel so for me (Scrooge McDuck), makin em is way 2 go
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Got access to plenty of steel ;)

I run a fair sized (12 in the workshop / 22,000sq/ft) structural steel fabrication workshop ;)

The problem isnt so much the cost of getting them made as the cost of lost production on items that make money ;)
Sometimes for us making things ourselves is a false ecconomy. Basically most jobs worth under $80,000 actually run at a loss for us unfortunately so I have to make sure when im getting something made for myself its a time when the work shop is quiet
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bearded shark » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:00 am

Understandable :) Ummmmmm perhaps an hrs overtime every day 4 a week should get em done????? But I'm guessin if u run the w/shop then by the end of ya workin day, overtime is last on ya agenda :) That time of day usually means :beer followed by :beer

I got a similar problem with time, or lack of. I run my own business too (sub contract) not as involved as yours tho, but my young family requires my time. I am tryin 2 get my jet ski rebuilt asap b4 the start of race season, plus tryin 2 buy a house, help the ole girl sell hers b4 she gets married in aug, then I'm best man at my bro in law's wedding in nov, which is when our baby is due.

I think my poor MX bike is gonna get a rest this yr & the Cruza will b lucky to c dirt once every 3 months. Oh, actually, no they won't. I'm pickin up our son's new motorbike shortly so he's gonna wanna ride it with his daddy, then when the baby gets too much, the little man & I might head off up the road 4 some off rd bonding :*** . In the mean time life goes on...................hell, I'm glad I insisted on gettin all the toys, camper setup (for 4), decent cars that will last, etc etc BEFORE we had kids & house. Lack of time & money would deem it impossible otherwise :lol:

Truth b known I just didn't wanna grow up, but my excuse was that I wanted some toys 2 share with my kids........it seemed 2 work. :***
Bearded shark
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:17 pm

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

There ya go thats a few pics of they type of work we do and the size of our work shop ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Bearded shark » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:57 am

NICE! I'd be happy to have 1 thats less than half that size. I currently got a VERY HUMBLE 3x3M garden shed, which houses:

2 lge steel topped jarrah benches, 3 steel shelving units, 2 moto-x bikes (1 lge, 1 sml), an 80L air compressor, lawnmower, welder, & a HEAP more but that's all that takes up floor space. Yes there is room to work. Don't ask how, it would need to be seen to be believed. I used to run a medium workshop so this was quite a step down. Lookin at changin it soon but. I think u win hands down, tho hehehe.
Bearded shark
Camping King

Return to General Chit-Chat