Crowdy Bay National Park (or better sugestion?)

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Crowdy Bay National Park (or better sugestion?)

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:31 pm

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/par ... 09&Type=xo

As much as I hate national parks :roll: , this ones looking like the best option so far to replace mungo for my annual beach trip.
Its about 30k north of Taree, right on the beach. But there's only so much the hopelessly brief national parks site, and Google earth can tell me. Has anyone been there, or does anyone know anything at all about it even stories from a friend of a friend?

What I'm looking for is how the camp sites are laid out, like are they near a road or can you drive down a deserted little track. Can your drive on the beach at all, how far are the campsites from the beach. Does it get busy. Basically, is there somewhere 20 or so people could hide in there on the beach for 5 days :lol: with minimal neighbors. At this time looking at being there from the 21-26th December. And how far to the nearest town/shops?

Failing that, any other suggestions would be great. Willing to travel pretty far north, up to say Coffs Harbour and surrounds. But closer to Sydney is obviously a big plus. The less facilities the better too
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:49 pm

There are a couple of camping areas. Diamond Head is right on the beach and Kylies and Indian Head are just behind the sand dunes. Facilities are basic - long drops and cold showers. There is 4wd beach access. The parks are fairly open and you park along side your site. There is a ranger/contractor there at Xmas time to collect fees, clean etc. Nearest town for supplies is Laurieton where the is the whole gammut of facilities. Gets very crowded in school holiday time but is well situated. No chance to hide a large group in holiday season.
Park gets regular visits from the local eastern grey kangaroos. Roads in from Moorland in south or Laurieton in north are good dirt.
Reccomended for out of school holiday stays. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks bud.

Have you been there? I found something in a search on another forum, a guy talking bout access roads through there. Ultimately I'd like to find some where suitable (maybe off one of these roads?), that isn't a 'designated' camping spot and stay there unless we're told to move. But I don't really wanna cause trouble either.

Do you know if you can camp on the beach?

found this pic Image would love to stay near that mouth right near the tree line. yeah, i know, i'm fussy :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Yep I have stayed out there. Have got a cottage at Lauriteon so its usually a quick trip to show the tame kangaroos to visitors.
That photo looks like it's taken from north looking back towards Diamond Head. The road out from Laurieton travels parallel to the beach. There are no designated camping areas but there is a couple of picnic spots along the way just set off the road and behind the sand dune.
A long time ago went along a track to a place called the Rutile Dam (left over from mining the area) but I couldn't give directions to it now. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby thenewme » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Things have changed a bit, we visited Diamond head end August.

Nice new amenities block with flushing toilets and cold showers the ranger lives in a house on the fringe of the camping area on the way out of the camping grounds, also has a nice new BBQ not sure if you have to pay, we checked out Diamond Head as we were staying at Harrington and thought we may visit at another time.

Oh by the way, 4wd access to the beach is through the camp grounds themselves, maximum distance from any one camp site would be I would say 500 metres (and that is stretching it) some site would be 50 metres, you do have to get a permit to drive on the beach, not sure how much also car fee for the park is $7 per day or you can purchase a year pass for the park at $22.

Am now trying to work out when we can camp at Diamond Head. oh by the way each camp site has a open fire.

Cheers

Blue Bravo wrote:There are a couple of camping areas. Diamond Head is right on the beach and Kylies and Indian Head are just behind the sand dunes. Facilities are basic - long drops and cold showers. There is 4wd beach access. The parks are fairly open and you park along side your site. There is a ranger/contractor there at Xmas time to collect fees, clean etc. Nearest town for supplies is Laurieton where the is the whole gammut of facilities. Gets very crowded in school holiday time but is well situated. No chance to hide a large group in holiday season.
Park gets regular visits from the local eastern grey kangaroos. Roads in from Moorland in south or Laurieton in north are good dirt.
Reccomended for out of school holiday stays. :grin:
thenewme
Boy Scout

good cavaran park info

Postby scottus22 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:54 am

Hi,
I've found this site to have some great info when looking for carvan park / tent / cabin accommodation. http://www.caravanparksonline.com.au
scottus22

Re: Crowdy Bay National Park (or better sugestion?)

Postby bockstar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi there

Sorry to drag up an old thread but for those in the know, can anyone confirm the amenities at the Diamond Head Camp Ground. According to these previous posts, the showers are cold??? Can anyone confirm.

Thanks.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby tezzaglen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:07 am

hi bockstar

that is correct the showers are cold.

we usually camp at the kylie's beach camp ground which also has cold showers

we use a shower tent,12 volt camp shower and heat our water on the gas stove

regards

tezza
tezzaglen
Camping King

Postby bockstar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks Tezza.

I was suspecting that it was cold showers but it's good to get confirmation of this.

Doubt we'll do it. I could do it but I think the ministry of finance won't be happy. :oops:

Shame. It looks like a nice spot.

Ta.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations