New member longtime camper

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

New member longtime camper

Postby Tones » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:37 pm

G'day All,

I've been lurking for a while, longtime camper 1st time poster. I Have a young family - Wife and 2 girls 5 yrs and 16 months old.

Most of our camping has been near the beach, our fav spot at the moment is Noosa Northshore Wilderness camp. We've been there 4 times in the last 12 months, also spent my younger years camping at North Straddie.

We are looking to do some camping in and around SEQld where you can have an open camp fire. We've been thinking somewhere around Rathdowney maybe, anywhere within 150km or so from Brissy would be good. Any advice and/or pics would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tones
Tones
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 pm

G'day and welcome.

Places where you can have fires and great to camp try;
Bigriggen / Flanagans Reserve (near Rathdowney)
Charlie Moreland/Booloumba Creek (between Maleny and Kenilworth)
Peach Trees (north of Kilcoy)
Lake Cressbrook (West of Esk)
Neurum Creek (near Woodford, not far from Chermside)

Have a look under Aust Park Reviews and Camping Tips section and you will find photos etc. If not I can help out. Just ask away. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi Tones and welcome to the site.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Tones » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks guys,

Is there much room at these camps, our set-up is pretty big, with a 20x24ft tarp, a 18x9ft tent and normally at least one other family, usually more.

With the big tarp, shade isn't a must, but its still nice to have a couple of trees around.

With the little ones, the better half likes to have good facilities too, hot showers etc.

I'll have a squiz at the Aus parks forum thanks.

Tones[/img]
Tones
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:50 am

Tones,

Your best options would be either Peach Trees or Bigriggen. Both have showers (coin operated), plenty of open space and well grassed.

Peach Trees is a state forest and you will need to bring your own wood.
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi?parkid=120

Photo is a few year old.

Bigriggen is privately run, and they supply firewood . From memory it was about $6 a wheelbarrow load. Has a kiosk as well.

http://www.bigriggen.com.au/

Photo was taken a few months ago near the gate into the camping ground.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby mytribe » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:11 am

Welcome Tones, don't have any advice sorry, live in the wrong part of the country :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby jeddalegs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:20 am

is Noosa Northshore Wilderness Camp still running??? sounds like from your post it is but we used to camp there ourselves and last time we tried to book my friend was told they'd built units on that site... weird
jeddalegs
Boy Scout

Postby Tones » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:10 pm

They were bought by Noosa shire council early last year I think, and renamed "Noosa Beachfront Caravan Park". You can no longer book specific sites, but there is always somewhere to setup.

Tones
Tones
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:11 pm

jeddalegs wrote:is Noosa Northshore Wilderness Camp still running??? sounds like from your post it is but we used to camp there ourselves and last time we tried to book my friend was told they'd built units on that site... weird

I think there was 2 campgrounds, one was redeveloped.

Troyk

Return to Introductions: