First Trip

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

First Trip

Postby CardManE » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

As I am a new member this is my first post. We have recently purchased a Jayco Eagle and after numerous attempts at a first trip (lots of things got in the way) we finally gave it a test run last weekend (my wife, 2 year old daughter and myself). No trouble with the set up of the van but the annexe was an adventure for us who must have gave entertainment value to the other people in the park.

Nonetheless we had a great time and were more than impressed with our purchase, and cannot wait to get out there again.
CardManE

Postby AussieSunset » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Great to hear CardManE. Yeah it's addictive once you've done the first trip. Your not alone when it comes to annexes. We had a few trial runs in the backyard just to see how things went and if it fit as it should. We ended up selling the annexe and just having one huge tarp over the lot.
Yeah sometimes watching other people set up is entertainment for other campers. I know we were lots of entertainment when we were traveling full time. They would all sit and watch, especially when 2 adults and 4 kids got out of the van lol. But by the the time we noticed we were being watched we had it down pat and everyone had their own job to do, thus being set up in half and hour with camper out and leveled, tarp and tents set up and chairs out and cuppa made. Just keep it fun.
:+
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:18 pm

Hi CardManE and welcome to the site.

When I first got my camper trailer I went to a very quiet and out of the way place and did a few practice runs putting it up and down. :***

Here are a few pics I took on one of those first trips. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

For those interested and haven't looked at the camper for a while, take a look as I have added a rear Rhino Bike Rack for my mountain bike. Today I bought all the bits and pieces to add a 12 volt socket just inside the kitchen to run the fridge.

Going to seriously look at solar panels this week.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:43 pm

Looking good Derek.

Just a tip regarding your trailer license plate. In Qld the bike partially covering the plate is illegal and you need to get an "accessory plate" to put on the bike rack. Its the same number but a smaller plate. Up here it costs $50.

Just ordered mine, as I know a few people who have been caught out.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Yep aware of that. Thanks
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:46 pm

CardManE, Welcome aboard.

The first time setup is always a hassle. Made sure I got it right in the backyard first. :grin:

Yeah and probalby helps if you really tall.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Trailer plate

Postby Hissy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:22 am

Just a tip regarding your trailer license plate. In Qld the bike partially covering the plate is illegal and you need to get an "accessory plate" to put on the bike rack. Its the same number but a smaller plate. Up here it costs $50.

Derek,

I was going to suggest the same thing.
A few months ago i was pulled over by Sutherland Highway Patrol after going out for a MTB in the National Park.
My bike was covering the number plate of the car.
Thank you officer.
$300 later, that put a sour taste in my mouth after a nice afternoon of riding.

Ordered a Bike plate over the phone from the RTA cost about $30.
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Return to Camper Trailers