Car stero installation in a camptrailer

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Car stero installation in a camptrailer

Postby RYAINS » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to install a car stereo into my camp trailer and run it off both 240V/12V power. Can anyone help me with a link or diagram - drawing on how i can do this please?

I know how to wire a car stereo into a car, but don't know how to, or what i need to do to wire it straight to a battery.

all help and hints much appreciated
Geoff
Can't wait for next summer!.... or a camp trailer :-)
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Neg to trailer chassis
B+ directly to battery - fused inline
ACC+ This one is upto you but I would be wiring it to a toggle switch from the battery (again fused inline) other wise you could wire it straight the the battery (fused inline)

ACC is basically your ignition normally so the stereo only works whilst the ignition is on. If you wire it to a toggle switch then it will only work whilst the switch is on.

As for running of 12V and 240V.... Are you wiring in a battery charger for charging the battery(s) whilst plugged into mains?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Like so
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby RYAINS » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Thanks komodo, I’m not real sure exactly what I’m doing as yet, just want some ideas from people in the know. I want the stereo be located in the camp trailer full time, but have it wired to my battery box I have fitted on my camp trailer and also be able to switch it from 12v to 240v..... So it would be 12v when I’m doing the national park thing and 240v when I’m doing the caravan park thing.

Is all that possible?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Its definately possible.

The best way about it is to have a battery charger mounted in the camper trailer full time so that the charger is replacing what the radio is taking out of the battery.
The other way to do it is to use switching devices and switch mode power supplies etc. which is probably a little bit too complex for a simple camper trailer.

The only issue with this type of setup is that you will possibly get some interferance type noise when listening to radio whilst plugged into 240V. There are ways around this (a suppression capacitor is one way) but lets worry about that if it happens.

Because you will only be using the radio say 4 hours a day even though it might be fused at 10-15amps you will find that in reality you are only using roughly 3-4 amps per hour so a charger that is putting back 1 or 2 amps per hour would be heaps. Therefore almost any charger would be sufficient.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:27 pm

rayins if you find there is to much interferance from the battery charger get a power pack from a electronic shop, thats what i yoused to use to power the base station [cb] when i was younger.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby RYAINS » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:28 pm

You seem to know your stuff komodo. Can I buy this set up like Derek’s and wire it myself also mate? (see pictures)

how do I insert pictures..... anyone?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Hissy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:55 am

Why do you want to have a radio in the trailer?
What type of speakers would you use, are they in a box or just some old door speakers?
Hissy
Hissy
Captain Camping

Postby RYAINS » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:51 am

I want a car stereo in the trailer so i've always got it with me when i go away. i've often forgot my portable radio when i go away and thought this would be a good way of avoiding that..... And i just want one in the camp trailer to look good :?#
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:42 pm

I studied solid state electronics at TAFE for a couple of years and I'm the state rep for Mobile Electronics Australia (Formerly Car Audio Australia).
I also Judge CAASQ (Which is the National Car Audio Sound Quality Competition)
And I compete in dB Drag Racing - which is the International competition format for SPL (sound pressure level) or basically a competition to see who is louder at frequencies below 80Hz ;) which if you know anything about impedance loads (and rise and fall) and current you can understand why I know what I know and why I have more "real world" experiance than "text book" knowledge. I also as a result of my personal interest in Car Audio and associated electronics have a lot of freinds in the industry so I have been involved with many show cars including motorisation or doors, boot lids, bonnets etc as well as low current lighting etc.
I also have been involved in Pro Audio and Pro lighting since i was 14 and I have been a front of house audio engineer for crowds as big as 14,000 people

So I try to help where I can with the knowledge I have gained over the years.

As for a power pack to supply the power for the radio - essentially a battery charger is just that. But all chargers and unless you spend big dollars on a power supply will have a 50hz ripple as thats the frequency that AC power alternates at in australia.
A battery will use its natural capacitance to filter the ripple - but differnt batteries will react differently.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby RYAINS » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Komodo, how do I insert an image? I wanna show you something I saw that I would like to ad to my camp trailer, but I don't know the exact name of it and what components I would need all up for it to operate. Derek posted the pics and its something he has on his camp trailer.

I can do it this way... look at this link of http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/camperelectrics.htm and its the very top three pictures im interested in putting in my camp trailer, so I’m not running extension cords everywhere in the tent and awning. Please let me know what the set up and parts are
[/img]
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:26 pm

How to post a picture on camping.com.au

thats 240V power - not really something you should be playing with - especially if your not entirely sure what you are doing. Perhaps speak to an electrician.

But basically what you have there is a waterproof housing, a caravan 240V power inlet (clipsal make a good one we use on show cars), an RCD (safety switch) and a GPO. Its common earth is the trailer chassis and it looks like they have just used extension cable rather than 3 core flex to wire it up - nothing wrong with that AFAIK just more expencive.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby RYAINS » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Komodo, where would i buy a set up like that please?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 am

thats not an "off the shelf" type kit / setup

You would have to go to an electrical supplier (middys?) and buy all the part individually.

To be blunt I'm quite concerned that, if you dont know what these items are or where to get them, you are getting out of your depth very very fast. 240V KILLS! VERY fast!

It takes less than 0.25amps @ 240V AC to kill - A power point can supply 10amps!!

PLEASE consult a professional - I dont want to hear that you have recieved a nasty shock. Remember a shock today may take upto 3 months to kill you as the shock shuts down / weakens internal organs by basically cooking you from the inside. 240V AC power is BLOODY DANGEROUS!
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby RYAINS » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Cheers for the concern komodo, but I don't intend to do the work myself mate. I just want to buy the gear for a mate who knows what he's doing for this type of stuff.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat