I'm back!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

I'm back!

Postby jollyroger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Whew!

It's been a while I know. We have sold our house, bought a new one, moved out and in! I haven't been camping and I have a twitch (or is that an itch)?

I also read an amazing book about Charles McDouall Stuart! Then low and behold I am sent to Darwin for work. I sat where Stuart found the top end. the first person to travel from Adelaide north to the sea. Australia hadn't been explored through the centre until then.

I want to live in Darwin. I just got back and the "build up" has started. It is a campers paradise. I raided every camping store for ideas and places to go. (can you tell I've only been there twice-but never camped there).

Tell me your best spots of Darwin? Tell me your worst spots of Darwin?
I loved the place. I found paradise!

JR.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mytribe » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Welcome back Jolly :?#

I haven't actually camped up in Darwin, but the folks live there and we go up every couple of years for a break, love it up there and would move in a heartbeat if we could afford the move.

The place I love the most is Batchelor, I think it's a gorgeous little town. :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Welcome back jollyroger.

I read Mr Struarts Track (assuming thats the book) and agree it was great read. Straight after I read The Dig Tree, by Sarah Murgatroyd, obviously about Burke and Wills, also a great read and is companion in a way to Mr Struart Tracks. If you haven't read it highly recommend it.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby jollyroger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:52 pm

[quote="Troyk"]Welcome back jollyroger.

Straight after I read The Dig Tree, by Sarah Murgatroyd, obviously about Burke and Wills

Call me parochial but Burke and Wills failed. I would love to read it just to see what really went wrong other than the obvious. They were ambitious and too big. It was an ending that that was very sad and so close to success. I am really hungry for this sort of history at the moment. I have a book on the go about the Kidman family which is great.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby jollyroger » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:00 am

I sat there on the plane both up and return looking out the window looking the the terrain and almost the same line he (Stuart) followed and was amazed he made it in some parts. Especially just over the NT border.

He was really was an amazing and tenacious man. I was in awe of what he went through SIX times.

That aside we are off in the CT over the Oct long weekend. Much to my digust I have to tell you all. It's the Grand final weekend. Both AFL and NRL. So buuger them I am taking a telly with me. I intend to be anti-social for the duration of the games!

Humph! :?#
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Kramer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:21 am

I was reading your first post jollyroger about Stuart and was just thinking (btw I am not the thinking man at all) I know that name from somewhere and I had just followed a heap of his travels from SA to the top interesting story especially for the time and I am glad I was in a car to do it not a bloody camel.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Troyk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:42 am

jollyroger wrote:
troyk wrote:Welcome back jollyroger.

Straight after I read The Dig Tree, by Sarah Murgatroyd, obviously about Burke and Wills

Call me parochial but Burke and Wills failed. I would love to read it just to see what really went wrong other than the obvious. They were ambitious and too big. It was an ending that that was very sad and so close to success. I am really hungry for this sort of history at the moment. I have a book on the go about the Kidman family which is great.

The book is very frank about Burke and the whole expedition. The author pretty much questions what the value of the expedition was, especially compared to what was acheived by Stuart. After reading the book I have real desire to go out around Innamincka to go to the key sites.

PS Kramer, a trivia correction, Stuart used horses. Burke who was "racing" him to the top used camels. Mind you not much different in the ride though :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby SMP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:27 pm

It seems some of the explorers had no idea what they were getting into and how to proceed. I watched an episode of "the bush tucker man" last night when he was talking about someone exploring the east coast of Cape York. The bloke had something like twenty horses, 100 sheep, some pigs and chooks and not suprisingly didn't get very far in that terrain. You'd have thought there would be some scouting trips in preparation before that sort of committment. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby jollyroger » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 pm

The hardest thing of all for those exploreres was finding water. With Stuart he was smart, he made the premise of all his travels daily to find water. Sometimes he would go up to ten days without water for the horses. He travelled light, nowhere near the amount Burke and Wills did. Even Sturt had too much with him.

Stuart always travelled in summer so it was hotter and harder to find water. I am in awe of these blokes...When you think there was no paths already laid out for them. They made the way! Imagine getting all that way taking 12months only to know you have to travel all that way back to tell someone. Stuart managed to make it back in 10 months. I think I would have forgotten by then!
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Return to General Chit-Chat