Finally off again.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Finally off again.

Postby Fonty » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:37 am

It's been a while since I've been here, mostly due to linux teething problems, I can't even count the times I've had to re-install the damn thing. And not been camping not so much due to the winter-ness but as much due to not getting the time to get away. Now we're finally off again. My 15 year old daughter has been bugging me about it for a while and we missed out last school holidays so we're off this time, avoiding the weekend we'll go for two nights starting early tomorrow. We're off most likely to Cumberland River Reserve just past Lorne. I am still desperate to find the kids some live starfish to see rockpooling, and maybe even a small octopus like I got the chance to while I was a kid. I tried Sorrento back beach last summer but all the rocks had to display there were a few tiny little crabs. I'm also taking my three year old for the first time, she's been asking to go camping for ages too so now's the time! The weather isn't looking great but we've got the gear to stay dry and warm and kids don't mind a bit of rain as a rule so I'm really looking forward to getting back out there. :)
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Good on you Fonty - Enjoy

I've been trying to get away for ages - doesnt look like im going to get a chance until mid november now :( damn birthdays, wedding and engagements! GRRRR.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Go and enjoy Fonty.

Just came back myself viewtopic.php?t=1849&highlight=
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Fonty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks guys, unfortunately we got rained out. It started raining from the moment we got to the coast and didn't stop for the next three hours solid. The spot I had chosen to camp was apparently just a campsite but when I got there I found it was a Caravan Park so I would have been up for $20 plus to pitch my tent in solid rain per night which I hadn't budgeted for anyway. I did have a bit more of a look around but no sites for 'just camping' showed themselves and we ended up driving back in the rain 3 hours after we got to the Great Ocean Road. If the weather had of been okay I would have driven inland to spots that were marked on the map had showing camping areas. But as it was the best I could expect was a miserable afternoon and evening trying to entertain three kids in a small tent. So it's best to arrive home dry and live to camp another day I reckon. I am starting to despair a bit of finding any good camping spots within coo-ee of Melbourne though. Rain or not I would have set up camp in any secluded spot I found but not pay to park behind some boom gates around dozens of other campers and cabin-ers. I go out there with the little laser bursting at the seems full of camping gear so we don't need to rely on caravan parks and their kiosks etc.

*sighs*

Next time.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:01 pm

What a bummer.

Here is a spot you might want to check out sometime viewtopic.php?t=1817 but don't tell everyone about it. :grin:
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby CCC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:51 pm

sorry to hear your trip didnt go as planned .... we have noticed too that certain marked camping areas end up being caravan / tent parks .... definately not the same.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat