Fire Extinguisher

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Fire Extinguisher

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Who carries a fire extinguisher in their camper trailer?????????????

Where would be the best place to carry it if you did???????????

They are not expensive with a reasonable one coming in at around $30.00

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:35 pm

I carry one in the car. Tied to the seat rails of the drivers seat - taht way its never in the way - and always accessable.

We made it a rule in CAASQ (the car audio competition that i judge) that all competitors must carry a fire extinguisher in the cabin (ie not the boot) of the car - easily accessable from the drivers seat.

I think they are a great thing to carry - and thankfully i've never had to use mine (though I know people who have)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Playing devils advocate here and not having a go at you.

Say you were out camping in the bush somewhere. Either Mum or Dad decide to drive into town to buy some supplies leaving the family behind with the camper trailer. Something goes wrong and the trailer catches alight ......... fire extinguisher is in the car in town.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Dont have a camper trailer - and im not a mum or a dad and when one of us goes any where in the car both of us go :P

But I agree with you there derek and if I had a camper I would definately have one installed on the trailer - and I would have a fire blanket.
As it is I keep a fire blanket at the campsite and naturally a bucket of water next to the fire when we have a fire (it continually amazes me how many people dont do this!)

Just be careful when purchasing a fire extinguisher that you get the correct type from memory its an AB or ABC type that you need.
Also remember to periodically take the extinguisher out of its bracket inspect for leakage &/or rust, check the gauge (i wouldnt own an extinguisher without a gauge) to make sure its still fully charged and give it a good shake then replace it back in the holder
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Also its a good idea if you do fit an extinguisher to your trailer - have stickers pointing to where it is located - especially if it is in a box or compartment any where. this way if your camper catches fire whilst you are away from yours site - a passer by may have a chance at saving you a lot of heartache when you return to camp. If you dont show them where the extinguisher is - they may not know where to start looking - or indeed if they should start looking for a fire extinguisher.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I've got 2 in the rocky, although most people I've spoken to that have needed to use one, say the small ones that sell for 20-30 bucks are only good for a really small fire. But better than nothing I spose.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby stevo. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 pm

I have had a car fire before and the little $30 ones from supercheap don't go very far. I try to have two of those in the car now, and a bottle of water that you can squeeze and spray. Most people might not worry about things like that, but when you have a fire it happens real fast and you're standing on the side of the road wondering what you can do and you watch the look on the faces of people driving past, as they give the "don't look at me, i don't know what to do" look :? ... and the fire engine doesn't come till it's too late. Being prepared might be the difference between losing everything, and thinking "wow that was close", and wouldn't that spoil a good weekends camping eh :booty
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 am

We have 1 in the camper and car. They are the sort of things that are, beter to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camper Trailers