I am all excited but feel blah...

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

I am all excited but feel blah...

Postby kazzakanary » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:14 pm

I am so excited we are finally going camping tomorrow to christen our new trailer! I am just feeling yuck tonight though.. there is so much to pack and I have to work tomorrow morning so my house won't be clean when we leave - it just want to get there already!!
I have to look ahead to Fri and Sat wwhen I am in my hammock with my book!
What do you think - is the packing pre-camping stressful or is it because we aren't used to the trailer and where things go??
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby stevo. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:44 pm

yeah it can be stressfull, i always worry about if i have everything i need. I have a checklist to run over in my head..... repeating "sleeping, food, alcomahole, tools for car" , easy. Make sure you have all that sorted and you're right. I guess people with nice cars don't need to worry about tools though.

and then you drive up the road on your way, get about 2kms away and think "sh!t, i forgot something", but usually, no matter what you forgot can be bought from a shop along the way if you really need it.

but also, we can all be so wound up by our normal work lives, that when you think about it, not much really matters, just go camping, try to relax, does not having done something really matter that much in life? :)
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby kazzakanary » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks Steve - you are totally right!!
Who cares if the house is messy when we come back - at least I will be relaxed enough to either ignore it or tackle it LOL
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby stevo. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:55 pm

I hate having a messy house too. I tend to feel better when the house is clean. and yeah, when ya get back from camping you walk in, check everything is still there and hasn't been stolen heheh, then unpack all the crap, then it sits there for a week in the lounge room, bugger eh, then gradually gets put away. but i think it's worth it, getting away for a couple days. We always want to get away, but are glad to be back home? a bit strange that eh? We're all a bit nuts maybe :)
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:59 pm

It's all fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Cruzin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:36 am

I have often wondered about the "merry-go-round"
In our sitch we:
Unpack all items to a Staging area (this can include unpacking some items form the CT);
Pack the camper trailer and the 4WD and start the journey;
Unpack when we get there;
Pack the items away in their spots in the camp site;
Repack all the items for the journey home;
Unpack into the staging area (to clean / fix / repair / items etc);
Repack away all items to their respective locations (including the CT);
Jump on the computer and download all the photos and consider the great time we had, and start the search for the next destination.

Sometimes you feel like a Packaderm (sic) :-bang
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby SMP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 pm

I usually get stressed. For me it's fitting evereything in. It never goes in the same way twice. With your trailer thouigh, you will be able to store a lot of your stuff in there and just top it up. A bit of fresh food, some cold chamagne and beer and your away. I'm looking forward to those days. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:30 pm

ohhh Kazza, your definately not alone there.

I tend to over pack because you never know what you may need and when ... especially if there are kids.

everyone is right with the pack / unpack / pack / unpack thing. I hate getting home and having all the clothes washing and the cooking washing up (hahaha yes I wash up on the campsite but we bush camp and I think i'm over fussy lol ) and the remains of fresh foods etc to be delt with.

But ..

I cant wait to do it again :armsup :armsup

Derek ... do you ever stay at home long enough ::() hehe your adventures would be awesome :grin:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Derek ... do you ever stay at home long enough hehe your adventures would be awesome

It's easy when you are on your own. :+
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby adow » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:30 pm

A list helps - or two lists - one with everything that is permanently packed in the camper, and one for things that need to be packed every time - food, clothes, tea towels etc. Doesn't matter how tired or distracted you are - if you tick everything off on the list, you know you have everything you need. Saves a lot of mental effort.

But I agree about making the effort to clean or at least tidy the house before you leave - it makes coming home much nicer.
Adelaide, South Australia
Happiest where the desert meets the sea
adow
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:09 pm

kazza dont worry your not alone :grin: we are off to straddie on the first barge monday for a week & ive already got the scotch out. :armsup just trying to make sure we have everything & its packed in its place is a night mare since the kids lost my list of everything. :( but all is not lost i have the scotch & the campoven im happy. :***
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Return to General Chit-Chat