Piggyback Camper

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Piggyback Camper

Postby SMP » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:56 pm

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is set up with a tray top ute with a pod on the back such as the "Tray On". I have looked at most of them over the last couple of years and have virtually decided on one called "PIGGYBACK CAMPER". It is a great unit that can be accessed from outside when closed and becomes a small accomodation unit when open. A variety of attachments are available for longer stays. The advantages I see are that it will go anywhere a 4WD will go and can be left behind at a camp site if necasary. They have an internet site. If you put "PIGGYBACK CAMPER" in Google it will bring it up. I'd be interested to hear somne opinions. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby SMP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:46 pm

I,m suprised there was so little interest in this thread. Obviously the concept isn't as attractive to others as it is to me. I wonder how they make a living producing rthese things? Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:02 pm

I don't find these tray top campers that good as I tend to drive a lot when I go camping, it would be a pain to either jack it up and take it off or pack it away each time I want to do a run!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby SMP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Kramer, thanks for the reply. That certainly is the compromise isn't it. And I'd have to say I haven't had any experience towing a camper trailer, just a trailer and I have been in a couple of difficult situations turning around. Also, I would like to be able to still trek the Vic Alps which I'd be loath to do pulling a trailer. But as you say, if you want to go for a drive, you take it with you or take it of. I have a tendency to either stay somewhere over night or for as week. So in that case It would work out alright. Would you pull a CT across the Simpson or up the CSR? Did you happen to look at the internet site? Cheers, Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:11 pm

When I was down in Victoria last week a couple pulled up with one on a Landrover body. They had two push bikes on the back for getting around which I thought was a good idea.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Kramer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 pm

Towing a camper isn't any different to towing a laden trailer, I just towed one 6800 kms and found it great (Campomatic 4wd hard floor camper) it was better to tow than my 6x4 box trailer. I found it great to just pull up somewhere and unhook it then go for a 4by. No need to worry about the contents getting wet or knocked around. Saying that I did see a few campers come across the Simpson and I have never done the CSR. I wouldn't have towed across the Simpson as I don't have a turbo and I am lacking on power :(

The push bikes are a good idea or even a small motorbike would be even better.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby SMP » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:27 pm

In the end, I guess nothing is perfect and everything is a compromise to some extent. In my case I've got plenty of time to consider while I save up the $25,000. Scott.
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:23 pm

I have a mate that has one of these tray top campers, he use to have a patrol ute and said it didn't carry the camper that well, so he bought a 75 series cruiser and that carries it much better because of the stiff rear suspension i guess.

But the camper spends most of its time in the driveway and they use swags to fast/easy weekends camping.

I think sometimes we have waaaayyyy too much stuff to take which adds up to making a camping trip just too hard.

All this stuff is great if you have the time and can actually get out and use it, but if you only do weekend camps it might end up being too hard. I think camper trailers/tray top campers/caravans etc etc are better suited to week long camps as the energy put in may be returned.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby SMP » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:46 pm

I hear what your saying and maybe in my younger days??? But these days I would never fit swags in my car and I am still dragging everything out from under the house etc and packing tents as I have done for ever. I'd be hoping that all the gear could be stored in the camper and just add consumables and go. And I have this vision of having climbed Butcher Country Track in the late afternoon, setting up camp in five minutes and getting down to watching the sun set. I was chatting with a guy from Adelaide on Exploroz, who had one for a while, and he was saying that it's a bit of a hassle to get of and on and so tends not to while camping. That doesn't sound ideal. But then again, maybe he's forgotten how long it takes to set up a camp with tents etc. Scott
Working to camp.
SMP
Captain Camping

Postby adow » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:40 pm

I think sometimes we have waaaayyyy too much stuff to take which adds up to making a camping trip just too hard.

It helps if you can store as much of the stuff as possible in the camper itself so that you don't have to think about it - just pack food, a fresh pair of jocks and off you go. 8) 8)
Adelaide, South Australia
Happiest where the desert meets the sea
adow
Boy Scout

Return to General Chit-Chat