Around the Coast of Oz in 1 year - with young kids

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Around the Coast of Oz in 1 year - with young kids

Postby Mel&Michael » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi all,

We are planning to drive and camp Australia beginning Feb 2008, with a 5 year old and a 15 month old.

We are budget conscious, as we obviously wont be working (much), and we will just be camping in a tent, and driving in our 4wd ute.

I was going to sqeeze Uluru in, but we are now thinking of doing the whole of the coast, but not going through the centre. Main reason is that we don't want to commit to too much travel each day, and we want to be able to stay on when we want to. Am wondering whether we should head north first, or south? I think it's too early to head north because it's rainy/monsoon season, but if we head south we will be coming back through the top end the next summer, which is no good.

I want to be in Darwin in winter, and we also need to spend a fair bit of time in Cairns with a friend.

Do we even need a year to do the whole of the coast slowly?

Thanks for reading my ramble, any feedback would be very helpful...
Mel, Michael and the kids
Mel&Michael

Postby CCC » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm sorry I cant be of much help to you with advice but welcome to the forum and happy camping :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:13 pm

A lap of Aus takes as long as you have time for. Met people who have been on the road for years and still not all the way around.

The general concensus for travelling is to go via the south in summer and north in winter :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Introductions: