Camper Trailer - Modifications

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camper Trailer - Modifications

Postby showls » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Hey All

I've just bought a camper trailer.. It's a beauty. (Cavalier On-Road) But I need to add a bike rack and a gas bottle holer. (maybe a fuel jerry too)

Has anyone here done similar or do you know of any trailer joints in Sydney that could help out.

Whilst we're at it.... If I'm going around australia (not 4wdriving - all onroad) will I need a fuel jerry?? Is there anywhere that has more than 600kms between petrol stations??

Just putting it out there - love to hear what you think.

Cheers - Showls!

I'm going camping!!! WOOO HOOOO :-)
showls

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:23 pm

In answer to your first quesiton ... any trailer repair place should be able to put the additions on that you asked for. Shouldn't be too expensive.

In regard to the petrol station question ... W.A. has a 500k distance between road houses on the bitumen (Port Headland - Sandfly) or at least it used to. The only other places I can think is the Territory ... the Barkley Hwy (500k's) has one fuel stop (breaking the journey 50/50 roughly) and the Tablelands Hwy (takes you from the Barkley Hwy to a place called Boroloola ... Gulf Country) has about a 400k strip with no fuel station ... Cape Crawford is your only one.

As for QLD ... Cheiffy and Kramer would be best to answer ... I've only travelled the interior and not the coast roads.

Don't forget that if your 600k limit is without a trailer then it will be shortened somewhat ... eg. my car goes about 550k's on a tank ... but with the trailer it's about 450k's. Just a thought.

The nullarboor has plenty of stops ... nothing over 300k's from memory.

Cheers ...

Scol.

(100th post too ;))
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby showls » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:31 pm

Yeah 600km's is taking the trailer into consideration.

So it looks like I might be able to get away with not taking a jerry....

What about storing a gas bottle inside the trailer... any issues with that?

The less I have to modify the better.

I'm going camping!!! WOOO HOOOO :-)
showls

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:02 pm

My gas bottles (two) are stored outside the trailer on special racks ... at least is one full the other anywhere from empty to full. They have been in the baking sun for days on end and have had no problems. Just make sure the gas bottle is in date ... anything older than ten years and you wont get refilled.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Cheiffy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:05 am

With a range of 600kms with the trailer attached, I doubt you would have any trouble on the eastern coast. But if you have a trailer, you should also be able to get the brackets fitted on the side which will hold either jerry cans or gas tanks as Scols said.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 am

Yeah in QLD there is plenty of fuel stops just make sure you travel during the day as sometimes the fuel stations like to close early! (been caught with that before :oops: ) I also travel with a jerry can actually its a plastic drum for those just in case things, eg cleaning spark plugs and the such!

If your camper dosen't have a water tank I would recommend to fir one as its really nice to have spare water while on the road, just fill it back up at your next stop in a caravan park!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Eric and Jo » Wed May 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Im with Krammer, its nice to have such huge literage as you obviously have but if its in one tank, as mine is, you end up with none if you get a hole you havent noticed.
at least with a gerry you can fix the hole,and limp to next fuel station.
On top of that hitch hiking with a gerry is easyer than removeing the tank and hitching with that.
On the good samaritan side you mite just find somone else that needs it.
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Eric and Jo

Return to Gear Guide