advice on 3-way fridges

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby Kramer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:21 am

Well I use a little GMC generator one of those ones from bunnings for $150 for my extended trips, its really light and quiet, can run lights and my fridge no worries, also can run my drill and grinder if needed. I like to take my fridge out of the car so my beer dosen't get shaken up while driving around! :lol:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:00 pm

How long do you run the genset for Kramer?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:27 pm

24 hrs a day, dosen't use much fuel about a tank and a half per day (6-7ltrs).
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:12 pm

That's better than what I thought ... cheers ...

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

camping fridge

Postby twink13 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 pm

we have a chescold 3way 50lt fridge/freezer.it cost us around $1000 3 years ago now.best thing we ever did.we can put a 9kg gas bottle on it & get easily 3-4weeks camping out of it.that is it running 24 hours a day.my parents bought one 15 years ago & there's is still running now.
twink13

Postby Demi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:06 pm

gas would be best if you are going to sit in one spot for your extended stays

12v like waeco and Engel are better if you are on the move and are less forgiving to vibrations and not being level mucking up the cooling system

Commodores should still have the power socket in the dash behind the pop down panel below the radio, you would be much better getting an auto electrician to wire a proper heavy duty socket or 2 into the boot area that is switched by the ignition (so you dont forget to unplug the fridge and flatten the battery) as the power draw of a 3 way fridge will flatten a battery in about 3 or 4 hours with the engine off
it is an adventurous spirit that takes the road less travelled...
Demi

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:26 pm

Demi wrote:gas would be best if you are going to sit in one spot for your extended stays

12v like waeco and Engel are better if you are on the move and are less forgiving to vibrations and not being level mucking up the cooling system

Not really ... when you are travelling you plug the 3 way into the 12 volt exaclty like a WAECO/ Engel. The gas is used when you stop for the night ... saves draining your batteries ... either single or dual.

;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Demi » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:20 pm

Scolers wrote:
Demi wrote:gas would be best if you are going to sit in one spot for your extended stays

Not really ... when you are travelling you plug the 3 way into the 12 volt exaclty like a WAECO/ Engel. The gas is used when you stop for the night ... saves draining your batteries ... either single or dual.

;)

Scol.

:-bang ops meant MORE forgiving, IE put a 3 way on a lean and its hopless

but sitting in one spot for a whie they are hard to beat, without spending ots of money
it is an adventurous spirit that takes the road less travelled...
Demi

Postby Scolers » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Demi wrote:
:-bang ops meant MORE forgiving, IE put a 3 way on a lean and its hopless

but sitting in one spot for a whie they are hard to beat, without spending ots of money

Good point to make too ... I think you can even damage the 3 way fridges if you have them on an incline for too long while running on gas.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Dualux » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:54 pm

I have a 12 year old 40lt chescold fridge/freezer and it is great, keeps everything frozen, but you need to rotate everything so that it will work better.One main thing to remember is not to keep opening it all the time and to keep it well venterlated. I think it would be best not to run a fridge off the cigar lighter,you should consider getting a special plug wired up with thicker wire. Even a small chescold fridge is pretty big on the outside. There might not be enough room in the commodore,unless its a wagon.

Cheers Paul
Dualux
Boy Scout

Postby Dualux » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 pm

I have a 12 year old 40lt chescold fridge/freezer and it is great, keeps everything frozen, but you need to rotate everything so that it will work better.One main thing to remember is not to keep opening it all the time and to keep it well venterlated. I think it would be best not to run a fridge off the cigar lighter,you should consider getting a special plug wired up with thicker wire. Even a small chescold fridge is pretty big on the outside. There might not be enough room in the commodore,unless its a wagon.

Cheers Paul
Dualux
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Gear Guide