NSW - Riverside CP Nyngan to Arkaroola SA in 16 days

NSW - Riverside CP Nyngan to Arkaroola SA in 16 days

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:01 pm

Left home (Cessnock) and travelled via Golden Highway through through Denman, Merriwa, Dunedoo, Dubbo (lunch) and stayed overnight at Nyngan ( Riverside CP - run by a couple who used to live in Cessnock). Great spot with good grassed spots near the river.
Day 2 to White Cliffs (certainly a different type of place with most of the population living on their Opal claims out of town). Nice little park there but shade hard to find.
Day 3 to Tibooburra via Milparinka (Tibooburra is a busy small town and very different setting amid the Granites). Starred windscreen when on the Silver City Highway when a turkey in a 7 ton truck didn't slow down in a rocky section.
Day4 via Camerons' Corner
to Innaminka and set up camp on "The Cooper" in the town common. What a setting an oasis in the middle of the Stony Dessert. Next day out to the Dig Tree, Burke's Grave etc followed by the River Cruise ( yes a river cruise in the middle of a dessert). Camped there 3 nights and loved every minute including the dust storm.
Day 7 leave the Cooper and along the Strezlecki track (hardly a track its really a dirt highway) via Moomba then turned off the go the Arkaroola via Wootan Station. Booked 2 nights and a pair of tickets for the tour to Stillers Lookout. Mrs Bravo had her eyes closed for much of this tour but some of the views were really special, especially the one from Sillers Lookout.
Day 9 Down to Wilpena Pound and booked 2 nights. Lost the UHF ariel when it vibrated itself to pieces.
Decided to have a gentle walk in the pound a quiet afternoon. Mrs Bravo cooked a damper in the camp oven.
Day 11. Leave Wilpena and drive to Broken Hill and set up at the Lakeview Caravan Park. Discover that I had left the power lead at Arkaroola. Met an old mate who has recently moved to Broken Hill (didn't know he was there) and spent time going around the Galleries, town, Silverton and the Living Dessert and Sculpture Park. Refreshed supplies, did the washing and suffered anoth dust storm.
Day 13 to Mutawintji National Park and set up camp - lovely spot, good camp sites and very few others there, even hot showers. Walk to Mutawintji and Homested Creek Gorges, cooked over open fire including griddle scones ( Mrs Bravo is getting quite adventerous)
Day 15 To Menindee and out the Kinchega National Park to xamp on "The Darling". Good amount of water but it is there because of the weir systems but it was lovely.
Day 16 Through Pooncarrie to Mungo National Park (Pooncarrie is one of the prettiest little villages I've been through). Drove the self guided tour and photo'd the Walls of China.
Decided as we had completed our wish list of places we would travel to the Coast to see the daughter and grandmonsters.
Big drive the next day and stayed in a cabin overnight in Gundagai and the highway noise had us pining for the quiteness of the desert.
Decided to spend the day at Floriade and stayed the next night in Braidwood and then to Tuross Heads the next day to see the kids.
Home on Saturday and spent the next 2 days cleaning eveything and I'm now so buggered after all that wotk I need a holiday and I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Have asked Mrs Bravo to transfer the photos from the lap top to this computer so I can send a couple of pic's
We had a great time, and have started planning our next adventure and the one after that and the one after that ( hey I'm about to retire so I need things to keep me occupied)
Last edited by Blue Bravo on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:14 pm

sounds like a great adventure indeed and welcome home :+ :+
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:47 pm

Sounds great, have you got the piccies?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Trip

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:20 pm

Hey that does sound like an adventure, looking forward to the pics. Welcome back...
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby waltzingmatilda » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Thats a great adventure, when we get back from a trip we start planning the next one :+
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Tried to post some pics without luck. I'm sort of technologically challenged :)
Will have another go
Glenn
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:28 pm

With Trok's help have been able to post a few photos. Hope to get some more up soon
Glenn
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to NSW