Brisbane Day Trip: Prefered Venue / Trip

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

What is your preferred Venue / Trip (Read below)

Poll ended at Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Sharp Park, Canungra
11%
Sunshine Coast Hinterland (Dereks Suggestion)
No votes
Beaudesert Area/Northern NSW (Troys Suggestion)
33%
Somewhere Else (as per my post below)
No votes
Just aomewhere close
11%
Like a long drive
No votes
Tambourine Mountain
44%

Total votes : 9

Brisbane Day Trip: Prefered Venue / Trip

Postby Troyk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:15 pm

Please read the following forum post before voting.

viewtopic.php?t=1815&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Barby Q's Suggestion
How about deciding on a place to meet for the day (sharps park, Canungra ) . Then you can decide to camp over or a day trip. Kids have a creek to play in , picnic tables , bbqs, fire rings , shelter and toilets . Dogs allowed. Then the weekend , October, friday night 26th . Sat 27th and Sun 28th. Sharps park is only five minutes from Canungra .

Derek's Suggestion (17 May)

Brisbane to Kilcoy through Woodford. - Morning tea there with a great bakery.
Kilcoy to Jimna - visit Peach Trees State Forest Park - lunch
Peach Trees to Charlie Mooreland State Forest Park via Sunday Creek.
Charlie Mooreland to Booloumba Creek State Forest Park.
Booloumba to Bruce Highway via Maleny and Landsborough
Landsborough to Coochin Creek State Forest Park - afternoon tea
Cooching back to Brisbane via Highway.

Derek's suggestion is not a bad one. You are looking at about 350km (off the top of head). Nearly all bitumen except for Sunday Creek Rd is dirt but good for 2WD and the road into Booloumba is dirt with some creek crossings (again 2WD ok).

There are some good day areas at Peach Trees, Charlie Moreland and Booloumba for lunch.

Troy's Suggestion (19 May)
Another option is travel to Beaudesert, head along the Lions Rd towards Kyogle. There is Andrew Drynan Park, and then Border Ranges NP with a good lookout at the Pinnacle. Some dirt road but can be traversed in a 2WD. Even though its roach country (ah yes state of origin time) there are 2 campgrounds at sheep station creek and the forest tops. You can come back through Kyogle and Rathdowney and visit flanagans, bigriggen, mt may etc
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:19 pm

I just wish I was in Brissy to come with you. :(
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Barby-Q » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 am

I voted for Troys suggestion , there's a lot more to see and do .
Sharp park I suggested only for its close to Brisbane and you can take the dog .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:13 am

If it's just a day trip I'd rather not spend several hours of it just driving - it leaves too little time to get to know the rest of the group, which is the whole idea.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:23 am

My suggestion of the Border Ranges trip is about 350km return from beaudesert so it will be a long day. Can leave it for a future trip.

What I put up as options were what people suggested.

If anyone has other ideas put them up. I'm on leave this week so i will think up some other ideas and post them. Can always redo the poll.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Troyk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Another option, considering people seem to be spread across Brisbane and on the Gold Coast is Mt tamborine. The only camping location is Thunderbird Park, but there are a number of parks with walking tracks closeby (if thats your thing). There is a park at the end of Knoll Rd, that has great views and a good walk to Camerons Falls. Another place is Cedar Creek Falls just near Thunderbird Park.

Its pretty much in close range for most people.

Troyk

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:05 am

Sounds like a lunch time bbq anywhere that has a day use area . We can camp over if we want . Just make the choice on a place and a date/weekend so we can all plan for it , otherwise it will never hapen.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Camping Group Picnic

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:22 am

If Tambourine Mountain is good I can talk to the visitors information center there. I am sure they can recommend a good spot for a picnic and some overnighters if we know the numbers. I am happy to crunch them for a discount and contribute towards food & sites for a few days as an incentive to get this first one up and running. But I think we need to know if the location is OK for everyone (or most everyone) and dates. So I am with Barby-Q here; how is Tambourine for everyone?
http://www.beaudeserttourism.com/pub/cat_recreation.php
Last edited by Activity_Dept on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby amanda » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:25 am

Tamborine is fine with me.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:45 am

OK with Tamborine. It looks 26 to 28 Oct maybe the best weekend at the moment based on the poll.

Troyk

Postby Barby-Q » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:07 am

Tamborine is fine with us also . the dates are good as well . Only 3 weeks to go .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Dates

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:48 am

Oh I didn't know we picked a date yet. Three weeks sounds a little tight, can we push it out a little so we see the numbers? November the 3rd sound good to me if it works for others. This gives me a chance to recoup after a few weeks away starting tomorrow and make a few calls. Have you had a look at the link Barby-Q which area up in Tambourine looks best, ideally a good spot for a day trip and if there are a few who want to camp they can, but it would be nice to get 20 - 30 people just to have a meet and greet to start with.

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby family07 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:58 am

hi we would be interested are kids welcome as well
family07

Postby stevo. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:51 pm

i'm not sure if i'll even make it, but if it was November or December, you could call it the Camping.com.au's Qlds Annual Christmas Party/Reunion/Meet & Greet/Get Together/BBQ :armsup

just an idea :beer
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Barby-Q » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:16 pm

Make it November then , its never going to be easy trying to organizing an event that suits everyone, the 3rd is good for us but not the 10th.
BTW
Everyone is welcome ,0-100 over 100 you will need a permission slip.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Next

Return to Groups & Activities