Question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Question

Postby First Timer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:53 am

Pictured below is the tent we have just bought. Do you think we need a tarp to go over it for extra weather protection. We are going away at Christmas time for 2 weeks. If so, how big and where would I buy it from. Size of tent is 580 x 240, three rooms plus, Sunroom 240 x 240. Can you buy them to fit this size. I haven't got a clue as this is our first time at the camping caper. Any suggestions? Ta.

'Have tent will travel'
First Timer

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:44 pm

is it going to rain?

what's it made out of. Anything canvas should be wet down before being used. It shrinks the seams to make them watertight.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby garbage » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:29 am

If it's heavy 10-12oz canvas, I don't think you'd need a tarp over it, but as HGMonaro said, it needs to be soaked thoroughly before your camping trip. Most people I see with tarps over their tents are the ones with polyester tents. What brand/model is the tent?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Barby-Q » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 am

I'd put a tarp over it . It would insulate it for the heat, stop tree sap and leaves from staining the canvas if it rains ,it should be dry when its time to pack up.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby First Timer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:32 am

garbage wrote:If it's heavy 10-12oz canvas, I don't think you'd need a tarp over it, but as HGMonaro said, it needs to be soaked thoroughly before your camping trip. Most people I see with tarps over their tents are the ones with polyester tents. What brand/model is the tent?

Oztrail Chateau 10. My hubby put the tent up in our daughters back yard as a trial run and wet it down each day for a week. One night we had rain and when we went over to check it, there was a pool of water just sitting there on the left side b/room. We felt perhaps the tent wasnt taut enough on that side. It also leaked through to the inside. I suppose it is all trial and error. lol.
'Have tent will travel'
First Timer

Return to Gear Guide